Line integral around a circle centered at the origin

In summary: However there is a circumstance under which the two conditions are equivalent, namely they are equivalent in any region which, whenever it contains a closed curve, it also contains all points inside that closed curve.In summary, the OP found that the gradient of the function is zero so the integral should be zero. However, if you integrate the function around a closed curve, you may get a different result depending on the region.
rashida564
Homework Statement
The picture below shows the text
Relevant Equations
Line integral
Hi everyone, I am confused in this question. First I solved it by noticing that the gradient of the function will be zero (without substitution the hit) I got that it's a conservative field so the integral should be zero since it's closed path. Then I solved it by the hit and convert it as any line integral like any normal integral in terms of the parameter which is theta in this case and evaluate it from zero to 2pi. I got an answer of 2pi. Which method is correct and why.

Attachments

• line integral.PNG
    line integral.PNG
    12.4 KB · Views: 550
Physics news on Phys.org
What gradient? You do not only have one function.

Please show your work and do not only describe it in words.

IMG_20200105_175755.jpg
IMG_20200105_175801.jpg

Please type out your work. Posting pictures makes it much harder to help you as they are more difficult to read and cannot be quoted selectively.

For what region is your computation of the divergence (note: not the gradient! Gradients act on scalar fields and yield a vector, divergence acts on a vector field and returns a scslar) valid?

Orodruin said:
For what region is your computation of the divergence (note: not the gradient! Gradients act on scalar fields and yield a vector, divergence acts on a vector field and returns a scalar) valid?
The OP calculated the curl, not the divergence, but the same question applies.

vela said:
The OP calculated the curl, not the divergence, but the same question applies.
This is true and false at the same time. Depending on if you see this as a three-dimensional problem restricted to two dimensions or a pure two-dimensional problem. The three-dimensional curl theorem is a direct consequence of the two-dimensional divergence theorem (also known as Green’s formula). Either way, it is not a gradient.

Edit: Ultimately, this boils down to the two-dimensional Stokes’ theorem for integration of differential forms. In three dimensions, the curl theorem boils down to integrating a 1-form over a closed curve or a 2-form over a surface while the divergence theorem relates integrating a 2-form over a closed surface to a 3-form over a volume. Both of these may be seen as corresponding to the 2D relation between the integral over a closed curve of a 1-form to the integral of a 2-form over a surface. However, it has more similarity to the divergence theorem as the space of 2-forms in 2D is one-dimensional. However, a deeper discussion of this is going to fly way above the head of the OP at this time.

Last edited:
You are wrong in thinking that a one form, i.e. something like f(x,y)dx + g(x,y)dy), or equivalently a vector field with entries (f,g), must have integral zero around every closed curve whenever d of it is zero, i.e. whenever ∂g/∂x - ∂f/∂y = 0. what is true is that if there is another function h such that f = ∂h/∂x and g = ∂h/∂y, then the integral is zero around every closed curve. This condition implies, but is not implied by, the weaker condition that ∂g/∂x = ∂f/∂y.

However there is a circumstance under which the two conditions are equivalent, namely they are equivalent in any region which, whenever it contains a closed curve, it also contains all points inside that closed curve. (As Orodruin suggested, the proof is to apply Green's theorem in that case). In your example, the functions f and g have denominator x^2+y^2, which means the region in which they are smooth does not contain the origin (0,0). Hence even though ∂f/∂y = ∂g/∂x, there is no guarantee the integral will equal zero around a closed curve that has (0,0) in its interior. Indeed getting a non zero result for the integral of your vector field around a given closed curve thus proves that the origin is inside that closed curve, so you have proved that the origin is inside the closed curve you integrated over.

This phenomenon is a powerful tool in topology for detecting the presence of "holes" in a region, and is the basis for the theory of "cohomology".

Last edited:
Likes rashida564 and ehild
mathwonk said:
In your example, the functions f and g have denominator x^2+y^2, whichn means the region in which they are smooth does not contain the origin (0,0). Hence even though ∂f/∂y = ∂g/∂x, there is no guarantee the inetegral will equal zero around a closed curve that has (0,0) in its interior.

I was trying to get the OP to realize this - as is the usual modus operandi in the homework forums.

There is also an additional way of interpreting Stokes’ theorem in such a way that it does hold for this case as well, namely I am terms of distributions rather than smooth functions. The exterior derivative of the one-form in this case is then proportional to the delta distribution at the origin. This view is particularly useful in physics modelling.

Likes vanhees71
oops, sorry, i did not realize i was in the homework forum.

Last edited:

What is a line integral around a circle centered at the origin?

A line integral around a circle centered at the origin is a mathematical concept in vector calculus that calculates the total value of a vector field along a closed path around a circle with its center at the origin. It measures the amount of "flow" or "flux" of a vector field through the circle.

How is a line integral around a circle centered at the origin calculated?

To calculate a line integral around a circle centered at the origin, first parameterize the circle using a function in terms of the angle theta. Then, use the formula ∫0^2π F(r(θ)) • r'(θ) dθ, where F is the vector field and r is the parameterization. This will give you the total value of the vector field along the circle.

What does the value of a line integral around a circle centered at the origin represent?

The value of a line integral around a circle centered at the origin represents the total flow or flux of a vector field through the circle. It is a measure of the strength and direction of the vector field at each point along the circle.

How is a line integral around a circle centered at the origin used in physics?

Line integrals around circles centered at the origin are frequently used in physics to calculate the work done by a force along a circular path. In electromagnetism, it is used to calculate the electric and magnetic fields around a circular wire. In fluid mechanics, it is used to calculate the circulation of a fluid around a circular path.

What is the relationship between a line integral around a circle centered at the origin and Green's theorem?

Green's theorem states that the line integral of a vector field around a closed path is equal to the double integral of the curl of the vector field over the region enclosed by the path. By applying Green's theorem to a line integral around a circle centered at the origin, we can relate it to the double integral of the vector field over the entire circle. This allows us to calculate the line integral using the easier method of evaluating a double integral.