1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Line integral of the second kind

1. May 11, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given the polar curve [itex]r = 3\sqrt{\cos{2\varphi}},\ -\frac{\pi}{4}\leq\varphi\leq\frac{\pi}{4}[/itex]. Find the area of the surface enclosed by the curve using line integral of the second kind.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    According to Green's theorem: if [itex]F(x,y)[/itex] and [itex]G(x,y)[/itex] are continous on a smooth closed graph ([itex]r(\varphi)[/itex] in this case), then [itex]\oint_L F(x,y)\mathrm{d}x + G(x,y)\mathrm{d}y = \iint_D G_x(x,y) - F_y(x,y)\mathrm{d}x\mathrm{d}y[/itex].

The textbook, however, is very ineloquent as to what exactly [itex]F[/itex] and [itex]G[/itex] are and there are no examples given with polar curves. Do I have to parameterize the curve? I don't understand. :wideeyed:

Last edited: May 11, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2015 #2

Svein

Science Advisor

This looks like a slightly offbeat version of Stokes' theorem.
    upload_2015-5-11_18-31-13.png This is the curve. Observe:
    1. x = r*cos(φ), y = r*sin(φ)
    2. sin(-φ) = -sin(φ), so the part above the x-axis is equal to the part below
    3. You do not need any fancy theorems to do this integral.

4. May 11, 2015 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The area is ##\iint_D 1 \, dx dy##, so you need to devise ##F(x,y), G(x,y)## that satisfy ##G_x - F_y = 1 ## everywhere (or, at least, inside the curve). Can you think of some convenient functions ##F,G## that have that property?

5. May 11, 2015 #4

Zondrina

Homework Helper

The area of the region is what you mean.

The area of a polar region ##r = f(\theta)## is given by:

$$\frac{1}{2} \int_a^b f^2(\theta) \space d\theta$$

This will allow you to solve the question quite easily as you already have the limits.

On a side note, I think you are referring to the reverse implication of Green's theorem, which allows you to compute areas. Since the area of a region ##D## is given by:

$$\text{Area}(D) = \iint_D \space dA$$

We wish to choose the functions ##P## and ##Q## satisfying Green's theorem such that:

$$\frac{\partial Q}{\partial x} - \frac{\partial P}{\partial y} = 1$$

There are several possibilities for choosing these functions, which all lead to the same result for the area of a region ##D##. Lets choose ##P = -\frac{1}{2}y## and ##Q = \frac{1}{2}x##. The following result can then be deduced directly from Green's theorem:

$$\text{Area}(D) = \frac{1}{2} \oint_C xdy - y dx = \iint_D \space dA$$

If you were to "go backwards" from ##r = f(\theta)## by using polar co-ordinates, you could also use the above result to get the exact same answer, i.e:

$$\text{Area}(D) = \frac{1}{2} \oint_C xdy - y dx = \frac{1}{2} \int_a^b f^2(\theta) \space d\theta = \iint_D \space dA$$

6. May 13, 2015 #5
    Would the area then be
    [tex]A = \int_{ -\frac{\pi}{4}}^{\frac{\pi}{4}} \int_0^{r(\varphi)} r\mathrm{d}r\mathrm{d}\varphi[/tex]
    Edit: Yes, it is, thanks, I get it now.

Last edited: May 13, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted