1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear algebra basis/dimensions

1. Jan 20, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the dimensions and basis of the following vector space V over the given feild K:
    a) V is the set of all polynomials over R (real) of degree at most n and whose coefficients add to 0, K = R (real numbers)
    b) K = R (real), and V is the set of functions from R to R which are solutions of the differential equation: d2f/dx2 - 9f = 0

2. Relevant equations
    definition of basis, spanning and dimensions

3. The attempt at a solution
    for part a) i think the dimetions is N and the basis is all the factors

for part b) i think it has 2 dimentions and the basis is df/dx - 3 and df/dx +3
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2009 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sort of. But what do you mean by 'factors' and df/dx-3 isn't a function from R->R. It's a differential equation. Can you spell out exactly what a basis is in each case?
  4. Jan 21, 2009 #3

Staff: Mentor

I might be wrong, but it appears that you "factored" this differential equation:
    to get this:
    One problem with that is that the first DE had -9f, not -9.
  5. Jan 22, 2009 #4
    By basic i mean something which is linear independent and spans V

and by factors i mean suppose a1, a2, a3 ... an were the roots, then the factors would be (x - a1), (x - a2), (x - a3) ... (x - an) I suppose i should specfy the Real roots
  6. Jan 22, 2009 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Exactly. In the first case you should specify N polynomials and in the second case you should specify two functions.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?