1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear algebra - basis of subspace

1. Nov 12, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find a basis of the subspace of R4 that consists of all vectors perpendicular to both

(1
    2)

and

(0
    5)

^ those are vectors.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I understand that a basis needs to be linearly independent and that it needs to span the vector space, but I am thrown off by the fact that the basis needs to consist of vectors perpendicular to those vectors above.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2009 #2
    do you know about orthogonal projections? or perhaps the gram-schmidt process? seems like the perfect time to use it. dont know if wikipedia links are allowed to be posted here, but here is a link to gram schmidt in case you havent read about it. the process itself might seem tedious but is very simple.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gram–Schmidt_process

hope this helps.

cj.

4. Nov 12, 2009 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Another approach is to Let u = (u1, u2, u3, u4) be a vector in R4.

Since u is perpendicular to both of your given vectors, the dot product of u with each of the given vectors should be 0. That will give you two equations in four unknowns. These equations can be used to find a basis for your subspace.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  5. Nov 12, 2009 #4
    thanks! i got it :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook