Adjoint of the Inverse: Proving [adj(A)]^{-1} = adj(A^{-1})

  • Thread starter Thread starter Rijad Hadzic
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Inverse
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Rijad Hadzic
Messages
321
Reaction score
20

Homework Statement


Prove that [itex][adj(A)]^{-1} = adj(A^{-1})[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution



Ok. So if

[itex]1/det(a) * adj(a) = A^{-1}[/itex] is true,

then [itex]adj(A) = A^{-1} det(A)[/itex]

then

[itex][adj(A)]^{-1} = 1/det(A^{-1}) * adj(A^{-1}) * det(A)[/itex]

now the statement would be proved if det(A) and det(A^{-1}) were both = 1, but it doesn't say that's the case in the problem. How would I go about completing this?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok hold on a sec guys. I've been relying on the help of others a bit too much. I'm going to mark the thread as solved and then open it again if I truly can't figure it out.
 
If we take ##\operatorname{adj}(B) = B^{-1} \cdot \det(B)## as defining equation for the adjoint matrix, what does this mean for ##B=A^{-1}## and how does it relate to the case ##B=A\,##?
 
Rijad, for future reference, in TeX expressions if the exponent is more than one character, you have to have braces -- { } -- around the expression. I have fixed your first post.