Adjoint of the Inverse: Proving [adj(A)]^{-1} = adj(A^{-1})

• Thread starter Rijad Hadzic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inverse
In summary, to prove that [adj(A)]^{-1} = adj(A^{-1}), we can use the defining equation for the adjoint matrix, [adj(B)]^{-1} = B^{-1} * det(B), and substitute B with A^{-1}. This results in [adj(A^{-1})]^{-1} = (A^{-1})^{-1} * det(A^{-1}), which simplifies to adj(A) = A^{-1} * det(A). Since det(A) and det(A^{-1}) are not specified in the problem, we cannot determine their values and cannot fully complete the proof.
Rijad Hadzic

Homework Statement

Prove that [itex] [adj(A)]^{-1} = adj(A^{-1}) [/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok. So if

[itex]1/det(a) * adj(a) = A^{-1} [/itex] is true,

then [itex] adj(A) = A^{-1} det(A) [/itex]

then

[itex] [adj(A)]^{-1} = 1/det(A^{-1}) * adj(A^{-1}) * det(A) [/itex]

now the statement would be proved if det(A) and det(A^{-1}) were both = 1, but it doesn't say that's the case in the problem. How would I go about completing this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok hold on a sec guys. I've been relying on the help of others a bit too much. I'm going to mark the thread as solved and then open it again if I truly can't figure it out.

If we take ##\operatorname{adj}(B) = B^{-1} \cdot \det(B)## as defining equation for the adjoint matrix, what does this mean for ##B=A^{-1}## and how does it relate to the case ##B=A\,##?

Rijad, for future reference, in TeX expressions if the exponent is more than one character, you have to have braces -- { } -- around the expression. I have fixed your first post.

1. What is the adjoint of the inverse?

The adjoint of the inverse is a mathematical concept related to linear transformations and matrices. It is the matrix that results from taking the transpose of the cofactor matrix of the original matrix and dividing it by the determinant of the original matrix.

2. What is the purpose of finding the adjoint of the inverse?

The adjoint of the inverse is useful in solving systems of linear equations, finding the inverse of a matrix, and in other mathematical applications. It is also used in the calculation of determinants and solving differential equations.

3. How is the adjoint of the inverse calculated?

The adjoint of the inverse can be calculated using the formula adj(A) = (1/|A|) * (Cofactor Matrix of A)^T, where A is the original matrix and |A| is its determinant.

4. What is the relationship between the adjoint and the inverse of a matrix?

The adjoint and inverse of a matrix are related through the formula A^-1 = (1/|A|) * adj(A), where A^-1 is the inverse of the original matrix A.

5. Can the adjoint of the inverse exist for all matrices?

No, the adjoint of the inverse only exists for square matrices that have a non-zero determinant. If a matrix is singular (determinant = 0), then its adjoint and inverse do not exist.