1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra: Find a formula for a matrix M to any power

1. Sep 6, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    sCWkyXV.png

2. Relevant equations
    A = SDS-1

Under some specific conditions,

An=SDnS-1

3. The attempt at a solution
    det(A-λI) = 0
    (16-λ)(-λ) - (-64)(1) = 0
    λ2 - 16λ + 64 = 0

λ = 8 Multiplicity 2.

This is as far as I got because you need 2 eigenvalues to get 2 eigenvectors to create the S/D matrices. Is there another way to solve this, because this is the only way I learned. Also there has to be an answer for this because it is on webwork with fill in the blank answers.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2014 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For an ##n \times n## matrix ##A##, if ##r_1, r_2, \ldots, r_p## are the distinct eigenvalues of multiplicities ##m_1, m_2, \ldots, m_p##, it follows from the Jordan canonical form that there are matrices ##E_{i,k_i}, i = 1, \ldots, p, k_i = 1, \ldots, m_i## such that
    [tex] P(A) = \sum_{i=1}^p [E_{i1} P(r_i) + E_{i2} P'(r_i) + \cdots + E_{i,m_i} P^{(m_i-1)}(r_i) ] [/tex]
    The matrices ##E_{ik}## are fixed, and are the same for all functions ##P##.

In your case, ##P(M) = E_1 P(8) + E_2 P'(8)##, where the matrices ##E_1, E_2## are the same for any polynomial ##P## (and, in fact, for any analytic function ##f(M)##). You can get them from two known values ##P(M)##, such as for ##P(x) = 1 \Longrightarrow P(M) = I## (the identity matrix) and ##P(x) = x \Longrightarrow P(M) = M##. For ##P(x) = 1, P'(x) = 0## we get ##I = E_1 + 0 E_2## and for ##P(x) = x, P'(x) = 1## we get ##M = 8 E_1 + 1 E_2##. You can solve for ##E_1, E_2##, then get ##M^n = E_1 8^n + E_2\, n 8^{n-1}##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted