Proof question for linear algebra

In summary: I understand your logic, but I believe the book wants me to proof the relationship between the eigenvalues and the det(A). In summary, the conversation is about proving the relationship between singular matrices and eigenvalues, specifically that a singular matrix must have at least one eigenvalue of 0. The conversation also discusses different approaches to the proof, with the summary stating that a proof can be done using the definition of singular matrices and the rank-nullity theorem.
Mdhiggenz

Homework Statement

I have a quick question about the proof below.

Let A be an nxn matrix. Prove that A is singular if and only if λ=0

I searched the proof online, and they did it using Ax=0

However,

When I tried doing on my own my solution was this

If A is singular then the det(A)=0

However we know from the following relation ship that
(λ1*λ2...*λi)=det(A)

thus there must be at least one eigenvalue λi such that

(λ1*λ2...*λi)=0 end of proof

Is my reasoning correct?

Thank you

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Mdhiggenz said:

Homework Statement

I have a quick question about the proof below.

Let A be an nxn matrix. Prove that A is singular if and only if λ=0

I searched the proof online, and they did it using Ax=0

However,

When I tried doing on my own my solution was this

If A is singular then the det(A)=0

However we know from the following relation ship that
(λ1*λ2...*λi)=det(A)

thus there must be at least one eigenvalue λi such that

(λ1*λ2...*λi)=0 end of proof

Is my reasoning correct?

Thank you

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

It's not very logical. I don't even know what "Let A be an nxn matrix. Prove that A is singular if and only if λ=0" means. Is that really the statement you have to prove? What's λ? If λ is supposed to be an eigenvalue, then a singular matrix can certainly have a nonzero eigenvalue.

I literally just copy and pasted what the book was asking for, and yes λ is an eigenvalue.

Mdhiggenz said:
I literally just copy and pasted what the book was asking for, and yes λ is an eigenvalue.

Then your book is being sloppy. [[0,0],[0,3]] is singular, but it does have an eigenvalue of 3. It also has an eigenvalue of 0 which is what really matters.

I understand your case, but does that mean that my reasoning to the proof is ok? Or do I need to justify it more?

Mdhiggenz said:
I understand your case, but does that mean that my reasoning to the proof is ok? Or do I need to justify it more?

If the statement of what you are supposed to prove is not clear then it's going to be hard to say any proof is right or not. If you want to show any matrix that is singular has an eigenvalue of 0 and vice versa, then you should start from the definition of singular.

didn't I do that by stating that if the matrix A is singular then the det(A)=0

Mdhiggenz said:
didn't I do that by stating that if the matrix A is singular then the det(A)=0

If you are going to take as a given that det(A)=0 iff A is nonsingular AND you know det(A) is the product of the eigenvalues, then I suppose that's ok if you state it a little more clearly. But there's a much more economical proof that a singular matrix has zero eigenvalue. I think you found it online.

Last edited:
I'm a bit confused would I have to prove that if a matrix is singular then the det(A)=0 or can I just quote the book? Also there is a relationship in the text that states that the the sum of the eigenvalues is equal to the trace, as well as the product of the eigenvalues is equal to the det(A)

Mdhiggenz said:
I'm a bit confused would I have to prove that if a matrix is singular then the det(A)=0 or can I just quote the book? Also there is a relationship in the text that states that the the sum of the eigenvalues is equal to the trace, as well as the product of the eigenvalues is equal to the det(A)

The original problem didn't say anything about det(A). You don't need it. As near as I can tell it wants you to show a singular matrix has a zero eigenvalue. The cheap proof uses definition of singular and the rank-nullity theorem. A matrix mapping R^n to R^n is singular if it has a nontrivial kernel. So?

What is the purpose of a "proof question" in linear algebra?

A proof question in linear algebra is a type of mathematical problem that requires the use of logical reasoning and mathematical proofs to arrive at a solution. It helps to solidify understanding of key concepts and principles in linear algebra and prepares students for more complex problem-solving in the subject.

What are some common topics covered in proof questions for linear algebra?

Some common topics covered in proof questions for linear algebra include vector spaces, matrices, determinants, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, linear transformations, and systems of linear equations.

How can I approach solving a proof question in linear algebra?

To solve a proof question in linear algebra, it is important to carefully read and understand the question, identify the key concepts and principles involved, and use logical reasoning and mathematical proofs to arrive at a solution. It can also be helpful to break down the problem into smaller, more manageable steps.

Are there any tips for improving my skills in solving proof questions for linear algebra?

Some tips for improving skills in solving proof questions for linear algebra include practicing regularly, seeking help from a tutor or instructor when needed, and studying and understanding the underlying concepts and principles rather than just memorizing formulas.

Can proof questions in linear algebra have more than one correct solution?

Yes, proof questions in linear algebra can have more than one correct solution. This is because there are often multiple ways to approach and solve a problem using different mathematical techniques and methods. However, it is important to carefully follow the instructions and requirements of the question to ensure that the solution is valid and complete.