1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear algebra-how do I know if something is invertible?

1. Feb 23, 2008 #1
    Linear algebra--how do I know if something is invertible?

Say I have a "reflection about the line y = x/3 in R^2," how do I know if the function or "T" is invertible?

Thank you.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2008 #2
    T is inv if its matrix is invertible, I think reflecting about y = x/3 function/T is invertible .

just use vertical/horizontal line test for functions
  4. Feb 23, 2008 #3
    Well you could first find out what the matrix representation of this linear transformation is. Are you familiar with these terms?
  5. Feb 23, 2008 #4
    yes, but how does the vertical line test work?
  6. Feb 23, 2008 #5
    I don't think it would work on transformations >>

for functions draw a vertical line, if it passes through the function twice then that means your function is not an actual function

and for inverse, draw horizontal line ...

something really simple stupid that I never used
  7. Feb 24, 2008 #6
    Well there is an invertible transformation for any reflection across a line through the origin.
  8. Feb 24, 2008 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Geometrically, if you reflect a second time across the same line, you are right back where you started. Any reflection is its own inverse.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?