Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Linear Algebra: How to represent this transformation as a matrix?

1. Feb 16, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the spectrum of the given linear operator T on V and find an eigenvector of T corresponding to each eigenvalue.

[tex]

V = R_{2x2}, T (\begin{bmatrix}a_{11}&a_{12}\\a_{21}&a_{22} \end{bmatrix}) = \begin{bmatrix}-2a_{11}-a_{12}&a_{11}\\a_{21}&2a_{22} \end{bmatrix}

[/tex]
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm confused about how to write the columns and rows of the transformation matrix.. do I do this:

[tex]

\begin{bmatrix}-2&-1&0&0\\1&0&0&0\\0&0&1&0\\0&0&0&2 \end{bmatrix}

[/tex]

Or the transposed? Or something else?

When I tried to get the spectrum (eigenvalues?) of this matrix I get {1, 2, -2} but the answer is {1,-1,2}, which doesn't work with the characteristic polynomial..

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2010 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's one way to write the matrix. Though to be absolutely clear you should say which columns correspond to which basis vector. But I get eigenvalues {1,-1,2} for your matrix. Maybe just check your eigenvalue calculation.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook