1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra: How to represent this transformation as a matrix?

1. Feb 16, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the spectrum of the given linear operator T on V and find an eigenvector of T corresponding to each eigenvalue.

V = R_{2x2}, T (\begin{bmatrix}a_{11}&a_{12}\\a_{21}&a_{22} \end{bmatrix}) = \begin{bmatrix}-2a_{11}-a_{12}&a_{11}\\a_{21}&2a_{22} \end{bmatrix}

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm confused about how to write the columns and rows of the transformation matrix.. do I do this:

\begin{bmatrix}-2&-1&0&0\\1&0&0&0\\0&0&1&0\\0&0&0&2 \end{bmatrix}

Or the transposed? Or something else?

When I tried to get the spectrum (eigenvalues?) of this matrix I get {1, 2, -2} but the answer is {1,-1,2}, which doesn't work with the characteristic polynomial..
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2010 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's one way to write the matrix. Though to be absolutely clear you should say which columns correspond to which basis vector. But I get eigenvalues {1,-1,2} for your matrix. Maybe just check your eigenvalue calculation.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook