Linear Algebra - How to represent this transformation?

In summary, the conversation is about determining the eigenvalues and corresponding eigenvectors of a linear operator T on R3, given its transformations of the standard basis vectors. The suggested approach is to find the columns of the matrix representation of T by applying T to the basis vectors and using its linearity to evaluate the resulting vectors. This can then be used to find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of T.
zeion

Homework Statement

Given that T is the linear operator on R3 with T(1,1,1) = (0,0,1), T(1,1,0) = (1,2,1), T(1,0,0) = (0,-1,0), determine the eigenvalues of T and a corresponding eigenvector for each eigenvalue.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to find eigenvalues and vectors but usually the matrix is given.. I'm not sure how to represent these transformations as one whole matrix.. or do I need to do them separately?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can get the columns of the matrix by applying T to the basis vectors, so you just need to figure out how to calculate T(1,0,0), T(0,1,0), and T(0,0,1) to find the matrix.

Okay in that case I can make an augmented matrix with the given relations and row reduce the left side to be the standard basis and the augmented side will be affect of T on the standard basis? Then I can transpose that to get the matrix?

Last edited:
If you can find a, b, and c such that

(0,1,0) = a(1,1,1)+b(1,1,0)+c(1,0,0)

then

T(0,1,0)=T[a(1,1,1)+b(1,1,0)+c(1,0,0)]=...

Use T's linearity to evaluate the RHS. Do the same for the vector (0,0,1).

I don't really understand.. How can I know what T does just by looking at the vectors that T is applied to..?

Like I said, use the fact that T is linear to evaluate the RHS.

Okay so for
(0,1,0) a = 0, b= 1, c=-1
(0,0,1) a = 1, b = -1, c = 0

1. What is linear algebra and why is it important?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations, matrices, and vector spaces. It is important because it provides a framework for representing and solving complex systems of equations, which are often used in scientific and engineering applications.

2. How do you represent a transformation using linear algebra?

A transformation can be represented using a matrix, which is a rectangular array of numbers. The transformation matrix can then be applied to a vector to produce the transformed vector. This allows for efficient computation and analysis of transformations.

3. Can you give an example of a transformation represented in linear algebra?

One example of a transformation represented in linear algebra is a rotation in 2D space. This can be represented using a 2x2 rotation matrix, which contains the sine and cosine of the rotation angle. Multiplying this matrix by a vector results in the rotated vector.

4. How is linear algebra used in computer graphics?

Linear algebra is essential in computer graphics for representing and manipulating 3D objects. It is used to translate, rotate, and scale objects in 3D space, as well as for lighting and shading calculations.

5. What are some real-world applications of linear algebra?

Linear algebra has many real-world applications, such as image processing, machine learning, robotics, and economics. It is also used in physics, engineering, and statistics to model and solve complex systems.