Linear Algebra - isomorphism questions

That is, you must show that f((A+ B)C)= f(A)C+ f(B)C and f(rA)= rf(A) where A and B are matrices and r is a real number.
zeion

Homework Statement

Determine whether the following mappings f is onto or one-to-one. Is f an isomorphism?

a) f maps R2 into R2 and is defined by f(x,y) = (x-2y, x+y)

b) f maps R2 into R3 and is defined by f(x,y) = (x, y, x+y)

i) f maps R3 into P2(R), defined by f(a1, a2, a3) = a2 - a3x + (1-a1)x^2

j) f maps Rmxn into Rnxm and is defined by f(A) = A^T (transpose of A) for all A in Rmxn

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Can I solve this by forming the matrix of the output?
ie I have x-2y = 0 and x+y = 0 as a matrix and row reduce, I get a 2x2 identity matrix and therefore
1) There are always solution for any augmented matrix, so f is onto
2) There are no parameters in the matrix and both variables always have a unique solution for every augmented matrix, so f is one-to-one

Is that right?

For b)

I get form the 3x2 matrix and row reduce, then a have third row of zero and no parameter, therefore f is not onto since there will always be some component of R3 that has no solution (hence the zero row). But f is 1-1 since both variables always have a unique solution for any augmented matrix (hence it has 2 leading ones).

Does that explanation seem right?

For i)

I form the matrix and row reduce to a I3x3, therefore f is onto and 1-1.

For j)

f is one-to-one since it forms the transpose of A and every row of A is mapped to every column of the image once.
It is onto since this applies to every matrix of Rmxn, therefore transposed into every matrix of Rnxm.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
zeion said:

Homework Statement

Determine whether the following mappings f is onto or one-to-one. Is f an isomorphism?

a) f maps R2 into R2 and is defined by f(x,y) = (x-2y, x+y)

b) f maps R2 into R3 and is defined by f(x,y) = (x, y, x+y)

i) f maps R3 into P2(R), defined by f(a1, a2, a3) = a2 - a3x + (1-a1)x^2

j) f maps Rmxn into Rnxm and is defined by f(A) = A^T (transpose of A) for all A in Rmxn

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Can I solve this by forming the matrix of the output?
ie I have x-2y = 0 and x+y = 0 as a matrix and row reduce, I get a 2x2 identity matrix and therefore
1) There are always solution for any augmented matrix, so f is onto
2) There are no parameters in the matrix and both variables always have a unique solution for every augmented matrix, so f is one-to-one

Is that right?
Yes, although you don't need to do it with matrices. If a and b are any two numbers then we can solve f(x,y)= (a,b) as x- 2y= a, x+ y= b for x= (a+2b)/2, y= (a+b)/3, so this is onto. Also if [itex]f(x_1,y_1)= f(x_2,y_2)[/itex], [itex]x_1- 2y_1= x_2- 2y_2[/itex], [itex]x_1+ y_1= x_2+ y_2[/itex], then [itex]x_1- x_2= y_2- y_1[/itex] from the first equation and [itex]x_2- x_1= -2(y_2- y_1)[/itex]. Then [itex]y_2- y_1= -2(y_2- y_1)[/itex] which leads to [itex]y_1= y_2[/itex] and then [itex]x_1= x_2[/itex] showing that this function is one-to-one.

You still need to show that f((a,b)+ (c,d))= f((a,b))+ f((c,d)) and f(r(a,b))= rf(a,b) for all real numbers a, b, c, d, and r to show that this is an isomorphism.

For b)

I get form the 3x2 matrix and row reduce, then a have third row of zero and no parameter, therefore f is not onto since there will always be some component of R3 that has no solution (hence the zero row). But f is 1-1 since both variables always have a unique solution for any augmented matrix (hence it has 2 leading ones).

Does that explanation seem right?

For i)

I form the matrix and row reduce to a I3x3, therefore f is onto and 1-1.

For j)

f is one-to-one since it forms the transpose of A and every row of A is mapped to every column of the image once.
It is onto since this applies to every matrix of Rmxn, therefore transposed into every matrix of Rnxm.
You need to say a bit more. You can use the fact that the transpose is "dual". That is, that
(AT)T= A.

This function is onto because, given any matrix B, it is the transpose of BT. It is one-to-one because, if
AT= BT
then, taking the transpose of each side, A= B.

And, again, just showing that a function is one-to-one and onto is NOT enough to show that it is an isomorphism. You must also show that the function is a homormorphism- that it "preserves" the operations.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Linear Algebra - isomorphism questions

1. What is an isomorphism in Linear Algebra?

An isomorphism in Linear Algebra is a function between two vector spaces that preserves the algebraic structure of the spaces. This means that the function preserves addition, scalar multiplication, and linear independence.

2. How do you determine if two vector spaces are isomorphic?

To determine if two vector spaces are isomorphic, you can check if there exists a linear transformation between the two spaces that is both one-to-one and onto. If such a transformation exists, then the vector spaces are isomorphic.

3. What is the significance of isomorphisms in Linear Algebra?

Isomorphisms are important in Linear Algebra because they allow us to compare and relate different vector spaces. They also allow us to apply concepts and techniques from one vector space to another, making problem-solving and analysis more efficient.

4. Can a vector space be isomorphic to a proper subspace of itself?

No, a vector space cannot be isomorphic to a proper subspace of itself. This is because an isomorphism must be a one-to-one and onto function, and a proper subspace, by definition, is not equal to the original vector space.

5. How do you prove that two vector spaces are isomorphic?

To prove that two vector spaces are isomorphic, you can show that there exists a linear transformation between the two spaces that is both one-to-one and onto. This can be done by showing that the transformation preserves addition, scalar multiplication, and linear independence.