How Does MATLAB Solve Linear Algebra Problems with Multiple Solutions?

In summary, The conversation discusses a specific problem in Linear Algebra being solved in MATLAB. It involves finding the unknown vector Y_I in an equation with constraints. The problem has infinite solutions and can be solved using LMI's and the Schur's compliment Lemma. MATLAB outputs a different solution each time due to the different coefficients used. The Optimization toolbox for MATLAB is recommended for solving this type of problem.
mihir_iit
Hello,

My question is to with a specific Linear Algebra problem being solved in MATLAB:

[1 2]Y_I = 3 ------------ (i), Y_I1 > 0 , Y_I2 > 0; where Y_I = [Y_I1 Y_I2]^T is the unknown to be found in the above equation (^T stands for transpose of a vector).

Let A_I = [1 2] and b= 3. Thus we have A_I Y_I = b. A_I is not invertible.

(i) has infinite solutions, subject to the constraints specified. This problem can be solved by framing the following LMI's:

Minimize v
Subject to

||A_I Y_I - b|| < v

Y_I1 > 0

Y_I2 > 0

|| . || stands for Euclidean 2-norm. Because this is in convex optimization framework, the Schur's compliment Lemma can be applied to the first LMI and thus the LMI's to be solved are:

[v* I (A_I Y_I - b)^T;(A_I Y_I - b) I] > 0 ------ (ii)

Y_I1 > 0 ------- (iii)

Y_I2 > 0 ------ (iv)

I represents Identity matrix. v, Y_I are the LMI variables.

If I solve the above LMI's, MATLAB will give one out of infinite solutions. E.g., for the specified A_I, MATLAB gives Y_I = [2.2808 0.3596]^T. It is important to note that MATLAB ALWAYS outputs the same solution for the give A_I.

Upon manipulation, (i) can be written as: [10 20]Y_I = 30 ---- (v) Y_I1 > 0, Y_I2 > 0. If (v) is solved by framing the appropriate LMIs, MATLAB outputs Y_I = [0.5827 1.2086]^T.

Thus by changing the coefficients of Y_I and the RHS constant, I get different solutions. The coefficients can be altered in infinite different ways.

So I have the following questions:

1. What algorithm does MATLAB use to solve this problem. How is this algorithm giving different results each time?

2. I do not think the results will vary with the algorithm being used. The results are different because of some concept in Linear Algebra itself. It has to do with how the problems of the kind Ax = b are solved (subject to constraints). If anyone knows better, please throw some light on what concept I am missing and why I am getting a different solution with different coefficients.

Any inputs are appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey mihir_iit and welcome to the forums.

I'm just wondering if you are looking at the Optimization toolbox for MATLAB, so that you can use the most appropriate tool given the generality of your constraints. The mathworks site gives this good reference which I think you'll find very useful:

http://www.mathworks.com.au/help/toolbox/optim/ug/linprog.html

1. What is Linear Algebra?

Linear Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of linear equations and their representations in vector spaces. It involves the use of matrices and vectors to solve problems related to systems of linear equations, transformations, and eigenvalues.

2. What is MATLAB?

MATLAB is a high-level programming language and interactive environment commonly used for scientific and engineering computations. It allows for efficient processing of large datasets and offers a wide range of built-in functions and tools for numerical analysis, visualization, and application development.

3. How can MATLAB be used to solve Linear Algebra problems?

MATLAB has a built-in linear algebra library that provides functions for performing basic operations such as matrix multiplication, inversion, and solving systems of linear equations. Additionally, it offers specialized toolboxes for specific applications, such as optimization, signal processing, and control systems, which utilize linear algebra techniques.

4. What are the advantages of solving Linear Algebra problems in MATLAB?

One of the main advantages of using MATLAB for Linear Algebra problems is its efficient implementation of matrix operations, making it well-suited for handling large and complex calculations. It also allows for easy visualization of results and offers a user-friendly interface for experimenting and testing different solutions.

5. Are there any limitations to using MATLAB for Linear Algebra problems?

While MATLAB is a powerful tool for solving Linear Algebra problems, it may not be the most efficient option for certain applications. For example, if the problem involves a large number of variables or requires high precision, specialized software or custom algorithms may be more suitable. Additionally, MATLAB may not be accessible to all users due to its commercial license and cost.