1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra- Spanning Sets definition

1. Mar 17, 2010 #1
    Linear Algebra- Basis

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Is {e1,e2} a basis for R3 ?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that {e1,e2,e3} is a basis for R3

same here,

Is this one a basis for R3
    {(1,1,2)T,(2,2,5)T}

I know that
    {(1,1,2)T,(2,2,5)T,(3,4,1)T}
    is a basis for R3.

Perhaps, I am a little unclear with the definition.

Would appreciate any help.

Roni

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2010 #2
    If you know that {e1,e2,e3} is a basis, then, by the definition of a basis...what can you say about {e1,e2}?

4. Mar 17, 2010 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Following Tinyboss's lead, what is the definition of a basis?

5. Mar 17, 2010 #4
    This is the part I don't understand...

6. Mar 17, 2010 #5
    the vectors must be independent and they must span R^3

but say I have {e1,e2} only. they are independent and they span R^3 (they do span R^3, right?)

7. Mar 17, 2010 #6

Mark44

They are linearly independent but there are only two of them. How many vectors must there be in a basis for R^3?

8. Mar 17, 2010 #7
    Well, the logic says 3, but I don't understand why 3 ?

and I guess if it's there {e1,e2} is missing 1 vector.
    but why 3 ?
    here is another example {(1,1,2)^T,(2,2,5)^T}

Thanks for your help.

9. Mar 17, 2010 #8

Mark44

The number of vectors in a basis for a vector space is equal to the dimension of the vector space. For R^1, any basis must have 1 vector, for R^2, any basis must have two vectors, and so on. If a set contains fewer vectors than the dimension of the vector space it needs to span, it can't possibly span the space, hence can't be a basis.

With your first example, where e1 = (1, 0, 0)^T and e2 = (0, 1, 0)^T, is there some linear combination of these vectors that generates (0, 2, 5)^T?

10. Mar 17, 2010 #9
    I think I understand it...
    I guess I'll need to sit on it a little more.

Thank you very much for your help:)

11. Mar 17, 2010 #10

Now this part is confusing me.

So,
    {e1,e2} can't span R^3 ?

Oh they must span R^2 with two rows only, right?

what about {(1,1,2)^T,(2,2,5)^T}, what do they span ? R^3?! ( they have two vectors) , R^2 ?! (they have 3 rows so they can't really span R^2, right?!)

Thanks.

12. Mar 17, 2010 #11

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Not exactly. In this context, e1 and e2 are elements of R^3, so they are NOT elements of R^2 and therefore cannot span R^2. They do span something that is very similar to R^2, though. Can you see what it is?

Same deal here, the vectors are in R^3, so they aren't in R^2 and can't span R^2. Have you learned what a "subspace" is yet?

13. Mar 17, 2010 #12
    We studied all this, but the professor wasn't really helpful, so everything is on me...
    Let me see if I undertand.
    {e1,e2} does span R^3 but it doesn't include ALL vectors in the plane that's created.
    However,
    {e1,e2,e3} also spans R^3 but it forms a solid which is spread throughout all R^3, therefore, it includes ALL vectors in R^3

and {e1} also spans R^3 but it forms a line and any combination of it must be on the line. However, there lots of vectors that are not on the line, therefore, this one cat be a basis for R^3 either.

Right?

Thanks a lot for your help.

14. Mar 17, 2010 #13

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, it does not span R^3. You need at least three vectors to do that.

{e1,e2} spans a 2-dimensional plane (subspace) contained within R^3.

Think of the x-y plane in Euclidean 3-space. That plane is spanned by two vectors, for example, the unit vectors in the x- and y-directions. The coordinates of these vectors are (1,0,0) and (0,1,0). This plane is not the same as R^2, where the vectors have only two coordinates. But it's equivalent in a certain mathematical sense (we say that the x-y plane within R^3 is ISOMORPHIC to R^2).

This is what is meant by "spanning" R^3. ANY vector in R^3 can be formed by an appropriate linear combination of e1, e2, and e2. This is NOT true if you only use e1 and e2, and thus {e1,e2} does not span R^3.

No. It spans a one-dimensional line (subspace) contained in R^3. That line is isomorphic to R^1.

Right, it's not a basis for R^3, BECAUSE it does not span R^3.

There are two things that must be true in order for a set of vectors to be a basis for a vector space:

(1) the vectors must span the whole space
    (2) the vectors must be linearly independent.

{e1,e2,e2} are linearly independent, and so are any subset of them, so (2) is not the problem here. But in order to achieve (1) you need to have enough vectors. R^3 has dimension 3, and that means you need at least 3 vectors to span it. Furthermore, you can't have MORE than 3 linearly independent vectors in a 3-dimensional space, so if the vectors are to form a basis (a stronger condition than simply spanning the space) you need to have exactly three (linearly independent) vectors.

15. Mar 17, 2010 #14
    Oh, I think I got it...
    {e1,e2} span some subspace which is part of R^3, but it doesn't span R^3 because I can't create any vector in R^3 with the linear combination of e1 and e2.

Thank you so much for your help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook