1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear algebra with proofs/vector space

1. Oct 1, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose S denotes the set of continuous real-valued functions of a single variable f(x) having the property that f(x)=0 if |x|≥ 1. Show that S is a vector space over R by explicitly checking all the axioms.

2. Relevant equations

(VS1) For all x, y in V, x+y=y+x
    (VS2) For all x, y, z in V, (x+y)+z=x+(y+z)
    (VS3) There exists an element in V denoted by 0 such that x+0=x for each x in V
    (VS4) For each element x in V there exists an element y in V such that x+y=0
    (VS5) For each element x in V, 1x=x
    (VS6) For each pair of elements a, b in F and each element x in V, (ab)x=a(bx)
    (VS7) For each element a in F and each pair of elements x, y in V, a(x+y)=ax+ay
    (VS8) For each pair of elements a, b in F and each element x in V, (a+b)x=ax+bx

3. The attempt at a solution

no real attempt yet. i am very lost on what i am supposed to do. all i really know is that i'm supposed to test S for each of those VS rules, and if they satisfy all of them, then S is a vector space over R. i'm just confused on how i am supposed to go about it.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2008 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, your vector space is S and your vectors are f(x),f(y),... so if (VS1) holds for S, then f(x)+f(y)=f(y)+f(x) which is clearly true for all real valued functions... do f(x),f(y)... satisfy VS2,VS3,...?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?