1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear and nonlinear ODEs

1. Nov 2, 2006 #1
    I'm just curious as to what the actual distinction means.

I understand that the requirement for a linear ODE, is for all the coefficients to be functions of x (independent variable), and that all derivatives or y's (dependent variable) must be of degree one, but that doesn't tell me much.

In a normal function, there is a clear distinction between a linear and a nonlinear one.

For example, y = 3x, it's clear here that y changes linearly with x, and is always three times as big as x.

On y = x^2, it's obvious that the change is not linear...so the relationship isn't linear.

Now how can I analyze linear differential equations and nonlinear differential equations in a similar manner?

How does their behavior, or their 'meaning' differ?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2006 #2
    A linear function is one such that f(x+y)=f(x)+f(y). Think of a differential equation as a function. E.g.

f''+3x f' + 4 = 0

This can be thought of as a function F such that F(f)=f''+3x f' + 4. Then F is linear since F(f+h)=F(f)+F(h). The equation you want to solve is F(f)=0.

4. Nov 2, 2006 #3

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

"f'' + 3x f' + 4 = 0"

This is NOT a linear diff.eq, since a sum of solutions isn't a solution. :grumpy:

5. Nov 3, 2006 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

arildno, by any definition I've seen, that would be a non-homogeneous linear differential equation. You are correct that the left-hand side is not "linear differential operator" but that's because it is not a differential operator at all- the "4" does not act on f. The equation can be rewritten f"+ 3xf'= -4 and now the left-hand side is a linear differential operator and the equation is a non-homogeneous linear differential equation.

I suspect Euclid meant f"+ 3xf'+ 4f= 0 and made a typo.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?