1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear combination

1. Sep 25, 2012 #1
    Given the vectors
    v1=(1, 1) ^t
    v2=(3, -1)^t

setting up the matrix gives det≠0, thus any vector in R^n can be written as a linear combination of v1 and v2.

This is where I'm getting confused.
    If the numbers in the matrix were changed so det=0, can you still right any vector in R^n as a linear combination of v1 and v2?
    If det=0, this would yield a free variable. In the examples in the book, they say you can write a vector as a linear combination of other vectors even if a free variable exists.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2012 #2
    I guess this leads to my next question:
    If v1 and v2 are linearly independent vectors
    in R^n and v3 cannot be written as a scalar
    multiple of v1, then v1, v2, and v3 are linearly
    independent.
    Why is this statement false?

Never mind, I thought the statement said "and v3 cannot be written as a scalar multiple of v1&v2" instead of just v1. If it was v1 and v2, then it would be linearly independent.

4. Sep 25, 2012 #3

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

det=0 if and only if both columns are a scalar multiple of a particular vector, call it v. If that is the case, then any linear combination of the columns will also be a scalar multiple of v. Therefore any vector that is not a scalar multiple of v cannot be expressed as a linear combination of the columns.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook