Linear dependence question

In summary, the given equations are correct and can be simplified to just two equations. After solving for z in terms of x, y can be expressed as (1/3)x and z as -(2/3)x. This results in a solution set that forms a one-dimensional vector space.
doctordiddy

Homework Statement

http://imgur.com/P9udvTs

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I set the scalar multiples of a, b, and c as x,y,z

so i had 3 equations

4x-4y+4z=0
-4x+4y-4z=0
-2x-4y-5z=0

i tried solving it numerous times each time trying to use a different x value, but i cannot get it. Did I even do it correctly up to the point where i get my 3 equations?

Thanks for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
The equations are correct. Notice the first and second equations are equivalent so you'll only really use the second and third equation and will get an undetermined solution.
Write x and y as functions of z for, example. You will hopefully arrive at a solution where (3/2)*a + (1/2)*b - 1*c = 0.

doctordiddy said:

Homework Statement

http://imgur.com/P9udvTs

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I set the scalar multiples of a, b, and c as x,y,z

so i had 3 equations

4x-4y+4z=0
-4x+4y-4z=0
The second equation is just -1 times the first so you really have just two equations.

-2x-4y-5z=0

i tried solving it numerous times each time trying to use a different x value, but i cannot get it. Did I even do it correctly up to the point where i get my 3 equations?

Thanks for any help
"get it"? What are you trying to get? What do you mean by "use a different x value"?

As said, you really just have two equations: 4x- 4y+ 4z= 0 and -2x- 4y- 5z= 0.
If you subtract the second equation from the first, you eliminate y leaving 6x+ 9z= 0 so that 9z= -6z and then z= -(2/3)x. Putting that back into the first equation 4x- 4y+ 4(-(2/3)x)= 4x- 4y- (8/3)x= (4/3)x- 4y= 0 so that 4y= (4/3)x and then y= (1/3)x.

That is, for any value of x, y= (1/3)x and z= -(2/3)x is a solution. x= 3, y= 1, z= -2 is one solution, x= 6, y= 2, z= -4 is another. The set of all solutions to this system of equations forms a one-dimensional vector space.

1. What is linear dependence?

Linear dependence refers to the relationship between two or more variables where one variable can be expressed as a linear combination of the other variables. In other words, if one variable can be written as a multiple of another, then they are considered to be linearly dependent.

2. How do you determine if variables are linearly dependent?

To determine if variables are linearly dependent, you can use the determinant method or the rank method. The determinant method involves arranging the variables in a matrix and calculating the determinant. If the determinant is equal to 0, then the variables are linearly dependent. The rank method involves finding the rank of the matrix and if it is less than the number of variables, then the variables are linearly dependent.

3. What is the difference between linear dependence and correlation?

Linear dependence refers to the mathematical relationship between variables, where one variable can be expressed as a linear combination of others. Correlation, on the other hand, measures the strength and direction of the relationship between variables. Linear dependence does not necessarily imply correlation and vice versa.

4. Can linear dependence occur in more than two variables?

Yes, linear dependence can occur in more than two variables. In fact, linear dependence can occur in any number of variables as long as one variable can be expressed as a linear combination of the others.

5. Why is linear dependence important in scientific research?

Linear dependence is important in scientific research because it allows us to understand the relationships between variables and make predictions. It also helps us to identify redundant variables and eliminate them from statistical models, making our analyses more efficient and accurate.