Is Your Solution to the Linear Differential Equation Unique?

In summary: Sure, I can give some input on what you've written. It looks like you have correctly solved the differential equation and found the integrating factor. However, you have not included the term "e^(2t)" in your integrating factor, which should be present since the coefficient of y in the original equation is (t-2). Also, when you substitute in the initial value y(0)=0, the constant term C should also become 0, so the entire expression for y should become 0.As for the uniqueness of the solution, I agree with the previous explanation that it is not necessarily unique since you can find other functions that satisfy the differential equation and initial value. Additionally, the theorem only guarantees uniqueness on an open interval
calvert11

Homework Statement

Solve the IVP. Is your solution unique? Explain.

ty' + (t-2)y = (t^4)*(e^t)

y(0)=0

Homework Equations

Theorem:

If p(t) and g(t) are continuous functions on an open interval a< t < b and the interval contains t0, then there is a unique solution to the IVP on that interval.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm rather sure I've solved the equation correctly, but I end up with something like this:

y = [tex]\frac{t^2}{e^t}[/tex] X [...etc.]

Now if I input the initial values, I get 0 = 0.

Furthermore, since p(t) = (t-2)/t where t cannot = 0, the Theorem would fail as no interval exists that satisfies it.

So, I'm a bit confused about how to answer this question. Assuming I solved the equation correctly, is 0 = 0 a solution? And since the equation fails the Theorem does that mean it is not unique? I do hope I'm making sense.

Physics news on Phys.org
calvert11 said:

Homework Statement

Solve the IVP. Is your solution unique? Explain.

ty' + (t-2)y = (t^4)*(e^t)

y(0)=0

Homework Equations

Theorem:

If p(t) and g(t) are continuous functions on an open interval a< t < b and the interval contains t0, then there is a unique solution to the IVP on that interval.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm rather sure I've solved the equation correctly, but I end up with something like this:

y = [tex]\frac{t^2}{e^t}[/tex] X [...etc.]
This is certainly NOT a solution to the equation. It is an integrating factor for the equation. Is that what you meant?

Now if I input the initial values, I get 0 = 0.

Furthermore, since p(t) = (t-2)/t where t cannot = 0, the Theorem would fail as no interval exists that satisfies it.

So, I'm a bit confused about how to answer this question. Assuming I solved the equation correctly, is 0 = 0 a solution?[/quote]
No, "0= 0" is not a 'solution', it isn't even a function. It is true that y(t)= 0, for all t, is a solution.

And since the equation fails the Theorem does that mean it is not unique? I do hope I'm making sense.
That means it may not be unique. Can you find another function satisfying that differential equation and initial value? Hint: Can you solve that differential equation with y(1)=0. Now, what if you took y(t)= 0 for t< 1 and y(t)= that solution for y> 1?

HallsofIvy said:
This is certainly NOT a solution to the equation. It is an integrating factor for the equation. Is that what you meant?

No, I found the integrating factor to be [tex]\frac{e^t}{t^2}[/tex]

No, "0= 0" is not a 'solution', it isn't even a function.
lol yeah. that was a silly question. So would y(0)=0 have no solution then?

Sorry, I'm really unaccustomed to using the layout tools here so please bare with me. This is "in general" what I came up with before putting in the initial values y(0)=0

y = (t^2/e^t)*[...etc. + C] where C is some constant. Obviously 0^2 = 0 so everything in the brackets becomes 0 and since y = 0 then 0 = 0.

That means it may not be unique. Can you find another function satisfying that differential equation and initial value? Hint: Can you solve that differential equation with y(1)=0. Now, what if you took y(t)= 0 for t< 1 and y(t)= that solution for y> 1?
let me try that. but would you mind giving some input on what I've written above?

Last edited:

Related to Is Your Solution to the Linear Differential Equation Unique?

1. What is a linear differential equation?

A linear differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is called linear because the dependent variable and its derivatives are raised to the first power and there are no products between them.

2. How is a linear differential equation solved?

A linear differential equation can be solved by finding an integrating factor, which is a function that is multiplied by both sides of the equation to make it easier to solve. The resulting equation can then be solved using techniques such as separation of variables, substitution, or the method of undetermined coefficients.

3. What is uniqueness in relation to linear differential equations?

Uniqueness in linear differential equations refers to the property that a solution is unique, meaning that there is only one solution that satisfies the given initial conditions. This is important because it ensures that there is only one possible outcome for a given situation.

4. How do you prove uniqueness in linear differential equations?

To prove uniqueness in linear differential equations, one must use the existence and uniqueness theorem, which states that if a differential equation is linear and the coefficients are continuous functions, then there exists a unique solution that satisfies the given initial conditions. This theorem is based on the Picard-Lindelöf theorem from real analysis.

5. What are some real-world applications of linear differential equations?

Linear differential equations have many real-world applications, including in physics, engineering, economics, and biology. For example, they can be used to model the motion of objects, the flow of electricity in a circuit, the growth of populations, and the spread of diseases. They are also used in the development of models for predicting future behavior.