Linear difference equation with vanishing inhomogeneity

In summary: The forum expertIn summary, the conversation discusses the stability of a linear recurrence/difference equation and its convergence conditions. The recurrence is defined by a_n = c_1 a_{n-1} + c_2 a_{n-2} + ... + c_d a_{n-d}, and the question is whether it converges as n goes to infinity. The expert clarifies that convergence occurs if and only if all roots of the corresponding characteristic equation have absolute value less than 1, and this condition also applies to a similar recurrence defined as b_n = c_1 b_{n-1} + c_2 b_{n-2} + ... + c_d b_{n-d} + \alpha(n), where
feuerstein
Hi,

I am new to this forum and apologize for bothering you with my question on recurrence/difference equations. Unfortunately I was unable to find an answer in textbooks etc., so I would really appreciate a short answer or a reference to relevant literature. The problem is as follows:

Say we have an order-d linear recurrence/difference equation:

a_n = c_1 a_{n-1} + c_2 a_{n-2} + ... + c_d a_{n-d}

We are interested in stability, i.e. whether the sequence a_n has a
limit as n goes to infinity. According to standard theorems convergence
occurs if and only if all roots of the corresponding characteristic
equation have absolute value less than 1.

My problem is that I do not quite have the above recurrence, but a
recurrence that "converges" to the above. More precisely, my recurrence is

b_n = c_1 b_{n-1} + c_2 b_{n-2} + ... + c_d b_{n-d} + \alpha(n),

where \alpha(n) is a sequence that converges to 0.

The questions are:

- Is b_n stable under the same conditions as for a_n?
- Are the limits of a_n and b_n the same (if any)?

Feuerstein

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello Feuerstein,

First of all, welcome to the forum! It's great to have new members who are interested in learning and discussing scientific topics.

To answer your questions, yes, the stability conditions for b_n are the same as for a_n. As long as all the roots of the corresponding characteristic equation have absolute value less than 1, b_n will also converge to a limit as n goes to infinity. This is because, as you mentioned, \alpha(n) converges to 0 and therefore has a negligible effect on the overall behavior of the recurrence.

As for the limits of a_n and b_n, they may not necessarily be the same. In some cases, they may converge to different limits depending on the initial values of the sequences and the values of the coefficients c_i. However, if the recurrence is well-behaved and the roots of the characteristic equation are distinct, then the limits of a_n and b_n should be the same.

I hope this helps answer your questions. If you need further clarification or would like a reference to relevant literature, please don't hesitate to ask. Happy exploring!

1. What is a linear difference equation with vanishing inhomogeneity?

A linear difference equation with vanishing inhomogeneity is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a sequence of values and their differences over a certain period of time. It is called "linear" because it can be expressed as a linear combination of its solutions, and "vanishing inhomogeneity" because it does not have a non-zero term on the right-hand side of the equation.

2. How is a linear difference equation with vanishing inhomogeneity different from other types of difference equations?

A linear difference equation with vanishing inhomogeneity is different from other types of difference equations, such as non-linear or non-homogeneous equations, because it has a constant coefficient and no non-zero term on the right-hand side. This makes it easier to solve and analyze, as the solutions can be expressed in terms of known functions.

3. What are the applications of linear difference equations with vanishing inhomogeneity?

Linear difference equations with vanishing inhomogeneity have many applications in various fields of science and engineering. They are commonly used to model physical systems that involve discrete changes, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits. They are also used in economics, finance, and other social sciences to study the behavior of economic variables over time.

4. How do you solve a linear difference equation with vanishing inhomogeneity?

To solve a linear difference equation with vanishing inhomogeneity, you can use various methods such as the method of undetermined coefficients, the method of variation of parameters, or the method of generating functions. These methods involve finding the general solution of the equation, which can then be used to find a particular solution that satisfies any initial conditions given.

5. What are the limitations of linear difference equations with vanishing inhomogeneity?

One limitation of linear difference equations with vanishing inhomogeneity is that they can only model systems that involve discrete changes. They cannot be used to model continuous systems, such as fluid flow or motion in a gravitational field. Additionally, the solutions obtained from these equations may not always accurately reflect real-world phenomena, as they are based on simplifying assumptions and may not take into account all factors affecting the system.