Finding Non-Linear Terms of Linear Function Equation

In summary: I didn't understand your question. So the terms that are nonlinear are: \frac{ic^2}{F(x)} and \frac{ic^2}{y}
UrbanXrisis
having the following equation, where F(x) is a function, and c is a constant independent of x, i am to find the non linear terms of the equation:

[tex]cF(x)\frac{dF(x)}{dx}+\frac{d^2F(x)}{dx^2}+ic^2 \left (\frac{1}{F(x)}+F(x) \right) =0[/tex]

i'm not sure where to start or start. could someone guide me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you have for a definiton of linear?

functions where x is raised to the first power? is this the definition that i should use?

Last edited:
UrbanXrisis said:
functions where x is raised to the first power? is this the definition that i should use?

I think what Integral meant was "What is the definition of a linear ordinary differential equation?"

-Dan

Or, to put it another way, before you can decide which terms are non-linear, you have to know what "non-linear" terms look like! If you understand what "non-linear" and "linear" terms are you should be able to look at the equation and write down the answer without any computation.

linear ordinary differential equation should be in the form a(x)y''+b(x)y'+c(x)y=d(x)

UrbanXrisis said:
linear ordinary differential equation should be in the form a(x)y''+b(x)y'+c(x)y=d(x)

So calling y=F(x), what terms in your original equation don't look linear?

-Dan

my equation would then become:

y''+cy(x)y'+ik^2/y+y=0

the non linear part is then: [tex] \frac{ic^2}{F(x)}[/tex]

right?

No. There is another non-linear term in there. Remember it is not just y that counts but derivatives of y also.

[tex]y''+cyy'+\frac{ic^2 }{y}+ic^2y =0[/tex]

so do you mean cyy' is a non-linear term too along with [tex]\frac{ic^2 }{y}[/tex]?

UrbanXrisis said:
[tex]y''+cyy'+\frac{ic^2 }{y}+ic^2y =0[/tex]

so do you mean cyy' is a non-linear term too along with [tex]\frac{ic^2 }{y}[/tex]?

Yep!

-Dan

What are non-linear terms in a linear function equation?

Non-linear terms in a linear function equation are terms or variables that are raised to a power other than 1. In other words, they are terms that are not directly proportional to the independent variable.

Why is it important to identify non-linear terms in a linear function equation?

Identifying non-linear terms in a linear function equation is important because it allows us to accurately model and analyze the relationship between variables. Linear functions can only represent relationships that are directly proportional, so including non-linear terms can help us better understand the true nature of the relationship.

How do you find non-linear terms in a linear function equation?

To find non-linear terms in a linear function equation, look for any variables that are raised to a power other than 1. These terms can also be identified by graphing the function and looking for a curved, non-linear relationship between the variables.

Can a linear function have non-linear terms?

No, by definition, a linear function can only have linear terms. Including non-linear terms in a linear function would make it a non-linear function.

What are some real-world examples of non-linear terms in linear function equations?

Some real-world examples of non-linear terms in linear function equations include compound interest, population growth, and radioactive decay. In these cases, the non-linear terms account for the changing rate of growth or decay over time.