Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Linear functions

1. Mar 5, 2006 #1
    having the following equation, where F(x) is a function, and c is a constant independent of x, i am to find the non linear terms of the equation:

[tex]cF(x)\frac{dF(x)}{dx}+\frac{d^2F(x)}{dx^2}+ic^2 \left (\frac{1}{F(x)}+F(x) \right) =0[/tex]

i'm not sure where to start or start. could someone guide me in the right direction?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2006 #2

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What do you have for a definiton of linear?

4. Mar 5, 2006 #3
    functions where x is raised to the first power? is this the definition that i should use?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2006
  5. Mar 5, 2006 #4
    I think what Integral meant was "What is the definition of a linear ordinary differential equation?"

-Dan

6. Mar 5, 2006 #5

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Or, to put it another way, before you can decide which terms are non-linear, you have to know what "non-linear" terms look like! If you understand what "non-linear" and "linear" terms are you should be able to look at the equation and write down the answer without any computation.

7. Mar 5, 2006 #6
    linear ordinary differential equation should be in the form a(x)y''+b(x)y'+c(x)y=d(x)

8. Mar 5, 2006 #7
    So calling y=F(x), what terms in your original equation don't look linear?

-Dan

9. Mar 5, 2006 #8
    my equation would then become:

y''+cy(x)y'+ik^2/y+y=0

the non linear part is then: [tex] \frac{ic^2}{F(x)}[/tex]

right?

10. Mar 6, 2006 #9

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

No. There is another non-linear term in there. Remember it is not just y that counts but derivatives of y also.

11. Mar 6, 2006 #10
    [tex]y''+cyy'+\frac{ic^2 }{y}+ic^2y =0[/tex]

so do you mean cyy' is a non-linear term too along with [tex]\frac{ic^2 }{y}[/tex]?

12. Mar 6, 2006 #11
    Yep!

-Dan

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook