How can I solve the Linear Harmonic Oscillator in polar coordinates?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of solving a two-dimensional LHO problem in polar coordinates. The individual is struggling with solving the differential equation in polar coordinates and is using the Fourier separation method. They also mention the different forms of the wavefunction and the energy eigenvalues. The individual mentions that they want to practice and solve the problem in multiple ways.
Nemanja989
Hello there,

Can anyone help me, I am struggling with solving LHO in two dimension,but in the polar coordinates.
I transfer laplacian into polar from decart coordinates, write Ψ=ΦR, and do Fourier separation method for solving differential equation. But I do not know how to solve differential equation on R.

I will write to where I came tomorrow, or in a few hours.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Why trouble yourself by going into polar co-ordinates? Just look for solution of the form Ψ = X(x)Y(y), for the Schrodinger equation in cartesian co-ordinates and you'll get two equations for a Linear Harmonic Oscillator. Surely, for the case of two one dimensional equation, you know the solution, multiply them, and add there energy levels to get the answer. I think the lowest energy state would have the energy of (hbar)*w, where w is the natural frequency of oscillation and the wavefunction is a Gaussian in radial co-ordinate r.

In this problem, both [itex]\phi[/itex] and [itex]z[/itex] are cyclic coordinates (they do not enter explicitly in the Schroedinger equation), so the corresponding conjugate momenta [itex]p_{\phi} \equiv l_{z}[/itex] and [itex]p_{z}[/itex] commute with the Hamiltonian. Therefore, the stationary states of the system are of the form:

[tex]
\psi_{m, p_{z}}(\rho, \phi, z) = \frac{1}{(2 \pi \hbar)^{1/2}} \, e^{\frac{i}{\hbar} \, p_{z} \, z} \, \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \, \pi}} \, e^{i \, m \, \phi} \, R_{m}(\rho), \ m = \ldots, -1, 0, 1, \ldots
[/tex]

Substitute this into the Schroedinger equation and you will get the following oridnary differential equation:

[tex]
-\frac{\hbar^{2}}{2 \, \mu} \, \left[ \frac{1}{\rho} \, \frac{d}{d \rho}\left(\rho \, \frac{dR_{m}(\rho)}{d \rho}\right) - \frac{m^{2}}{\rho^{2}} \, R_{m}(\rho) - \frac{p^{2}_{z}}{\hbar^{2}} \, R_{m}(\rho) \right] + \frac{\mu \, \omega^{2} \, \rho^{2}}{2} \, R_{m}(\rho) = E \, R_{m}(\rho)
[/tex]

The normalization condition is:

[tex]
\int_{0}^{\infy}{\rho \, R^{2}_{m}(\rho) \, d\rho} = 1
[/tex]

Introduce a dimensionless argument:

[tex]
\rho = a x, R_{m}(\rho) = \frac{1}{a} \, y_{m}(x)
[/tex]

with:

[tex]
a = \left(\frac{\hbar}{\mu \, \omega}\right)^{\frac{1}{2}}
[/tex]

and:

[tex]
\epsilon = \frac{2}{\hbar \, \omega} \, \left( E - \frac{p^{2}_{z}}{2 \, \mu} \right)
[/tex]

you will get the following equation:

[tex]
y''_{m} + \frac{1}{x} \, y'_{m}(x) + \left(\epsilon - x^{2} - \frac{m^{2}}{x^{2}}\right) \, y_{m}(x) = 0
[/tex]

with the normalization condition:

[tex]
\int_{0}^{\infty}{x \, y^{2}_{m}(x) \, dx} = 1
[/tex]

Usually, we want to get rid of the first derivative in the differential equation. We can achieve this by the substitution:

[tex]
y_{m}(x) = \frac{z_{m}(x)}{\sqrt{x}}
[/tex]

A direct substitution should convince you that the equation satisfied by [itex]z_{m}(x)[/itex] is:

[tex]
z''_{m} + \left(\epsilon - x^{2} - \frac{m^{2} - 1/4}{x^{2}}\right) \, z_{m} = 0
[/tex]

and the normalization condition reads:

[tex]
\int_{0}^{\infty}{z^{2}_{m}(x) \, dx} = 1
[/tex]

The asymptotic behavior for [itex]z_{m}(x)[/itex] for both large and small values of [itex]x[/itex] is obtained by keeping the dominant terms in the equation for the relevant region:

[tex]
z''_{m 0} - \frac{m^{2} - 1/4}{x^{2}} \, z_{m 0} = 0, \ x \rightarrow 0
[/tex]

This is an Euler equation and has solutions of the form [itex]z_{m 0} \tilde x^{k}[/itex]. Substituting, we get an algebraic equation for [itex]k[/itex]:

[tex]
k^{2} - k - \left(m^{2} - \frac{1}{4}\right) = 0
[/tex]

the solutions of which are:

[tex]
k_{1/2} = \frac{1 \pm 2 \, |m|}{2}
[/tex]

We take:

[tex]
z_{m 0} \sim x^{|m| + \frac{1}{2}}, \ x \rightarrow 0
[/tex]

For large x, we have:

[tex]
z''_{m \infty} - x^{2} \, z_{m \infty} = 0
[/tex]

which is of the same form as in the one dimensional case, so we have:

[tex]
z_{m \infty} \sim e^{-\frac{x^{2}}{2}}, \ x \rightarrow \infty
[/tex]

Finally, we capture the asymptotic behavior by writing:

[tex]
z_{m}(x) = x^{|m| + 1/2} \, e^{-x^{2}/2} \, v_{m}(x)
[/tex]

After some differentiation and algebraic manipulation, you should get the following equation for [itex]v_{m}(x)[/itex]:

[tex]
v''_{m} + \left(\frac{2 |m| + 1}{x} - 2 x \right) \, v'_{m} + \lambda \, v_{m} = 0
[/tex]

where

[tex]
\lambda = \epsilon - 2 |m| - 1
[/tex]

Using a change of variables in the argument:

[tex]
x = a \, t^{\alpha}
[/tex]

you will get:

[tex]
t \, \ddot{v}_{m} + \left[ 1 + 2 \, \alpha \, |m| - 2 a^{2} \, \alpha \, t^{2 \, \alpha} \right] \, \dot{v}_{m} + \lambda \, (a \alpha)^{2} t^{2 \, \alpha - 1} = 0[/tex]

Compare this with the differential equation for the Kummer confluent hypergeometric equation [itex]_{1}F_{1}(a; c; t)[/itex]:

[tex]
t \ddot{y} + (c - t) \, \dot{y} - a \, y = 0
[/tex]

we see that we should have:

[tex]
2 \, \alpha = 1, \; 2 \, \alpha \, a^{2} = 1 \Rightarrow \alpha = \frac{1}{2}, \; a = 1 \Rightarrow x = t^{\frac{1}{2}} \Leftrightarrow t = x^{2}
[/tex]

So, we can write:

[tex]
v_{m}(x) = _{1}F_{1}(-\frac{\lambda}{4}, |m| + 1, x^{2})
[/tex]

Collecting everything back, the radial wavefunction is:

[tex]
R_{n m}(a \, x) = C_{n, m} \, x^{|m|} \, e^{-\frac{x^{2}}{2}} \, _{1}F_{1}\left( -n, |m| + 1, x^{2} \right), n \in \mathbb{N}_{0}, m \in \mathbb{Z}
[/tex]

where [itex]C_{n, m}[/itex] is a normalization constant. The energy eigenvalues associated with motion in the plane of the oscillator are:

[tex]
E_{n, m, p_{z}} - \frac{p^{2}_{z}}{2 \, \mu} = E'_{n, m} = \hbar \, \omega \, \left( |m| + 2 \, n + \frac{1}{2} \right)
[/tex]

I have attached a pdf file into this post.

Thank you for responding!

You asked me why I do it in polar coordinates, when it`s much easier in decarte. Well I simply want to practice on my own, I want to solve one problem in a few ways. I have just finished basic cousre of quantum mechanics, but we haven`t done LHO in polar coordinates.

Attachments

• ?22m.pdf
    386.7 KB · Views: 312

What is a linear harmonic oscillator?

A linear harmonic oscillator is a physical system that exhibits periodic motion, meaning it repeats itself over and over again. It is characterized by a restoring force that is directly proportional to the displacement from its equilibrium position.

What are the key components of a linear harmonic oscillator?

The key components of a linear harmonic oscillator are a mass, a spring, and a damping element. The mass provides the inertia, the spring provides the restoring force, and the damping element absorbs energy and reduces the amplitude of the oscillations.

What is the equation of motion for a linear harmonic oscillator?

The equation of motion for a linear harmonic oscillator is given by F = -kx - bv, where F is the net force, k is the spring constant, x is the displacement from equilibrium, and b is the damping coefficient. This equation can be derived from Newton's second law of motion.

What is the natural frequency of a linear harmonic oscillator?

The natural frequency of a linear harmonic oscillator is the frequency at which it will oscillate without any external forces acting on it. It is determined by the mass, spring constant, and damping coefficient of the oscillator, and is given by the equation ω = √(k/m).

What are some real-world examples of linear harmonic oscillators?

Some real-world examples of linear harmonic oscillators include a mass attached to a spring, a pendulum, and a guitar string. These systems exhibit periodic motion and can be described using the principles of a linear harmonic oscillator.