Are the Wronskians set up and compared in this linear independent check?

In summary, the conversation is about evaluating the Wronskian and determining linear independence. The person asking the questions is not showing effort and there may be a mistake in the problem.
nysnacc

Homework Statement

upload_2016-10-18_9-21-19.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I set up the Wronskian?? and compare them?

Physics news on Phys.org
nysnacc said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 107662

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I set up the Wronskian?? and compare them?
You could evaluate the Wronskian of the three functions, or you could use the definition of linear independence.

What is the definition of linear independance?

Isn't there a definition of linear independence in your textbook?

Note that "independance" is not a word. Whoever wrote the problem doesn't seem to be aware of this.

But will Wronskian easier of definition of Linear independence is more formal?

Forum rules require that you show some effort. I don't see any effort, just question after question. And I see the question is worth 5 points. Is this a take-home test you are supposed to work yourself?

What is a linear independent check?

A linear independent check is a mathematical process used to determine if a set of vectors in a vector space are linearly independent.

Why is it important to perform a linear independent check?

Performing a linear independent check is important because it helps us understand if a set of vectors can be used as a basis to span the entire vector space. It also helps us determine if there are any redundant vectors in the set.

What are the methods used to perform a linear independent check?

There are several methods that can be used to perform a linear independent check. These include the determinant method, the reduced row echelon form method, and the rank method.

Can a set of vectors be linearly independent in one vector space but not in another?

Yes, a set of vectors can be linearly independent in one vector space but not in another. This is because the dimension of the vector space can affect the linear independence of the vectors.

What are the practical applications of a linear independent check?

A linear independent check has various applications in fields such as computer graphics, engineering, and physics. It is used to determine the dimension of a vector space, solve systems of linear equations, and find the basis for a vector space.