1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear inequalities

1. Nov 28, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Mnimize and maximize:
    P=30x + 10y
    Subject to 2x + 2y > or = 4
    6x + 4y < or = 36
    2x + y < or = 10
    x, y > or = 0

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

How would I go about graphing this on my calculator: 2x + 2y > or = 4. When I take out my ti-83 and try to input the equation 2x + 2y > or = 4 I can't seem to find how to put multiple variables into it and inout less than or equal to signs in there. I do realize how to do this pblem I just can't seem to grasp the idea of how to put it into a calculator. I would greatly appreciate all your help you can provide. Thanks.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You CAN'T graph an inequality on a calculator. You can, however, graph the equation 2x+ 2y= 4 (solve for y and enter it as y= 2- x) and that is the boundary between "> 4" and "< 4". Since you have 5 inequalities, your "feasible" region will be the five sided figure bounded by those 5 lines. I'm sure that you know that the minimal and maximal values of your linear target function will occur at one of the 5 vertices of that region.
  4. Nov 30, 2007 #3
    Why use a calculator? Why not do it by hand? Don't be lazy! As HallsofIvy says, the 'feasible' region- the region that satisfies all inequalities- is the region bounded by all 5 lines. So plot the 5 lines by hand and find the bounded region. Then find all the points of intersection, see which point gives the lowest value for P= 30x + 10y- this will the minimisation of P, and the point that gives the highest value will be the maximum.
  5. Nov 30, 2007 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What, do it the "old fashioned way? How primitive!

Of course, if it easier to do it by hand than with a calculator...
  6. Dec 1, 2007 #5
    You can, but you have to choose the shaded area for yourself. Much easier to do so manually.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?