Linear ODE Solution Existence

In summary, the theorem guarantees that, for a given initial value, if the 'standard form' functions (like the form you have the ODE in) are continuous for a given initial value, then a unique solution is guaranteed to exist, and the solution is guaranteed to be valid on the interval of continuity that contains the initial value. However, the existence/uniqueness theorem can't say whether that will be the case. Additionally, if you find a solution for an initial value problem at a point of discontinuity, it can be valid, but it is not guaranteed to be unique.
thegreenlaser
We've done a little bit on existence/uniqueness of solutions, and there's one thing that's a little confusing to me. We have a theorem which (paraphrased) says that if you have a linear ODE with an initial value problem, then a solution exists on the largest open interval containing t0 on which the coefficient functions are continuous. (t being the independent variable). Now, say I'm modelling something with this equation:

[tex]\frac{d^2 y}{dt^2} + \frac{1}{t(t-4)}\cdot \frac{dy}{dt} + t^2 y = e^t[/tex]

and say I know that y(2) = y0 and y'(2) = y'0. (so t0 = 2)

Then, the coefficient functions are all continuous except for at t=0 and t=4. Thus, I know a unique solution to my initial value problem exists on the interval 0 < t < 4, since t0 = 2 lies on that interval. So, my question is, does this mean that my solution might be useless everywhere else? Does this mean I might get a function that is accurate on the interval 0 < t < 4 but is garbage or undefined everywhere else? I guess I'm just a little unsure what "having a solution on that interval" means.

Physics news on Phys.org
A time at which a coefficient of the ODE has a pole or is otherwise undefined is called a singular point. Essentially two things could happen at such a point:

(i) The solution holds good at and beyond the singular point and you get to extend your unique solution at least until the next singular point.

(ii) The solution or some of its derivatives blow up so you can't extend your solution beyond the singular point.

As an example of both of these, look at the equation y'+y/[t(t-1)]=0, y(1/2)=1. There are singular points at t=0,1. The solution is y=t/(1-t). At t=0, the solution stays bounded and you can continue it as far as you like in that direction. On the other hand, it blows up at t=1 so you can't extend the solution.

The theorem only guarantees that for a given initial value, if the 'standard form' functions (like the form you have the ODE in) are continuous for a given initial value, then a unique solution is guaranteed to exist, and the solution is guaranteed to be valid on the interval of continuity that contains the initial value.

This means if you find a solution to the IVP, and the conditions of the theorem are met then that is the only solution to the IVP. The solution can be valid over an interval greater than the continuous interval containing the IVP values, but the existence/uniqueness theorem can't say whether that will be the case.

Also, if you find a solution for an initial value problem at a point of discontinuity, it can be valid, but it is not guaranteed to be unique by the existence/uniqueness theorem.

henry_m said:
A time at which a coefficient of the ODE has a pole or is otherwise undefined is called a singular point. Essentially two things could happen at such a point:

(i) The solution holds good at and beyond the singular point and you get to extend your unique solution at least until the next singular point.

(ii) The solution or some of its derivatives blow up so you can't extend your solution beyond the singular point.

As an example of both of these, look at the equation y'+y/[t(t-1)]=0, y(1/2)=1. There are singular points at t=0,1. The solution is y=t/(1-t). At t=0, the solution stays bounded and you can continue it as far as you like in that direction. On the other hand, it blows up at t=1 so you can't extend the solution.

So, essentially, even though the solution y=t/(1-t) is defined for t>1, the numbers you would obtain from that function for t>1 are meaningless for a given IVP where t0 < 1 ?

I can assure you that the existence of a solution on a particular interval does not render that solution useless outside of that interval. It simply means that the conditions for the existence of a solution have been met on that interval. In your example, the solution may not be defined or accurate outside of the interval (0 < t < 4) due to the discontinuity of the coefficient functions at t=0 and t=4. However, this does not mean that the solution is completely meaningless outside of that interval. It may still provide valuable insights or approximations in certain cases.

Moreover, it is important to note that the existence of a solution on a particular interval does not necessarily guarantee uniqueness or accuracy. It is always important to carefully consider the assumptions and limitations of any mathematical model or solution, and to validate its results through experimentation or comparison with other methods.

In conclusion, the existence of a solution on a particular interval is a crucial aspect of solving a linear ODE, but it does not imply that the solution is useless or inaccurate outside of that interval. It is important to carefully interpret and validate the results, taking into account any limitations or assumptions of the model.

What is a "Linear ODE"?

A "Linear ODE" (ordinary differential equation) is a type of differential equation where the dependent variable and its derivatives appear in linear combinations. It can be represented in the form of y'(x) + p(x)y(x) = q(x), where p(x) and q(x) are functions of x and y(x) is the dependent variable.

What is the "Solution Existence" of a Linear ODE?

The "Solution Existence" of a Linear ODE refers to whether or not a unique solution can be found for the given differential equation. In other words, it determines if there is a valid function that satisfies the equation for all values of x.

How do you determine the "Solution Existence" of a Linear ODE?

The "Solution Existence" of a Linear ODE can be determined by using mathematical theorems such as the Existence and Uniqueness theorem or the Cauchy-Lipschitz theorem. These theorems provide conditions under which a unique solution exists for a given differential equation.

What factors can affect the "Solution Existence" of a Linear ODE?

The "Solution Existence" of a Linear ODE can be affected by various factors such as the form of the equation, the initial conditions, and the properties of the functions involved (such as continuity and differentiability). These factors can either guarantee or prevent the existence of a unique solution.

Why is the "Solution Existence" of a Linear ODE important in scientific research?

The "Solution Existence" of a Linear ODE is important in scientific research because it determines the validity and reliability of mathematical models used to describe real-world phenomena. It also allows scientists to make accurate predictions and draw meaningful conclusions from their data. Additionally, understanding the "Solution Existence" of a Linear ODE is crucial in designing experiments and making decisions based on mathematical models.