Linear Transformation: Proving Linearity with Function T : P3 → ℝ3

In summary, we have shown that T is a linear transformation by demonstrating that T(p+q) = T(p)+T(q) and T(cp) = cT(p), where c is a scalar.
hackett5

Homework Statement

Define a Function T : P3 → ℝ3 by
T(p) = [p(3), p'(1), 01 p(x) dx ]

Show that T is a linear transformation

Homework Equations

From the definition of a linear transformation:
f(v1 + v2) = f(v1) + f(v2)
and
f(cv) = cf(v)

The Attempt at a Solution

This is how I've started the problem, but I'm not sure I'm heading in the right direction. Either way I'm stuck.

T(p+q) = (p+q)(3), (p+q)'(1), ∫(p+q)(x)dx
= p(3) + q(3), p'(1) + q'(1), ∫p(x)dx + ∫q(x)dx

I'm not sure where to go from here. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
hackett5 said:

Homework Statement

Define a Function T : P3 → ℝ3 by
T(p) = [p(3), p'(1), 01 p(x) dx ]

Show that T is a linear transformation

Homework Equations

From the definition of a linear transformation:
f(v1 + v2) = f(v1) + f(v2)
and
f(cv) = cf(v)

The Attempt at a Solution

This is how I've started the problem, but I'm not sure I'm heading in the right direction. Either way I'm stuck.

T(p+q) = (p+q)(3), (p+q)'(1), ∫(p+q)(x)dx
= [p(3) + q(3), p'(1) + q'(1), ∫p(x)dx + ∫q(x)dx]

I'm not sure where to go from here.

Just keep going. Does that = T(p)+T(q)? (And remember, those are definite integrals; no constants of integration there).

Related to Linear Transformation: Proving Linearity with Function T : P3 → ℝ3

1. What is a linear transformation?

A linear transformation is a mathematical function that maps each point in a vector space to another point in the same or different vector space. It follows the properties of linearity, such as preserving the operations of addition and scalar multiplication.

2. What are the applications of linear transformations?

Linear transformations have various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, computer graphics, and economics. They are used to model and analyze systems that exhibit linear behavior, such as electrical circuits, chemical reactions, and population growth.

3. How do you represent a linear transformation?

A linear transformation can be represented using a matrix. The columns of the matrix are the images of the basis vectors in the transformed space. The properties of the transformation, such as linearity and invertibility, can be determined by analyzing the properties of the matrix.

4. What is the difference between a linear transformation and a nonlinear transformation?

A linear transformation follows the properties of linearity, such as preserving the operations of addition and scalar multiplication. On the other hand, a nonlinear transformation does not follow these properties and can involve more complex operations, such as exponentiation or logarithms.

5. Can a linear transformation change the dimension of a vector space?

Yes, a linear transformation can change the dimension of a vector space. It can map a higher-dimensional vector space to a lower-dimensional one or vice versa. For example, a projection matrix is a linear transformation that maps a three-dimensional vector space onto a two-dimensional vector space.