Solving Linear Transformation: Find F Given 3 Equations

In summary, the conversation discusses a linear transformation F and its values for various input vectors. The individual involved makes a mistake in their calculation for F(e3) but later corrects it.
Petrus
Hello MHB,
given a linear transformation F so that this is known
\(\displaystyle \left\{
\begin{aligned}
\phantom{1}F(1,0,0)=(1,2,3) \\
F(1,1,0)=(0,0,1)\\
F(1,1,1)=(12,3,4)\\
\end{aligned}
\right.\)
Decide F

progress:
\(\displaystyle F(e_1)=(1,2,3)\)
\(\displaystyle F(e_2)=F(e_1)+F(e_2)-F(e_1)=(0,0,1)-(1,2,3)=(-1,-2,-2)\)
\(\displaystyle F(e_3)=F(e_1)+F(e_2)+F(e_3)-(F(e_1)+F(e_2))= (12,3,4)-(-1,-2,-2)=(13,5,6)\)
My \(\displaystyle f(e_3)\) is wrong acording to facit and I don't understand

Regards,
\(\displaystyle |\pi\rangle\)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello MHB,
I have seen what my misstake was... I forgot that \(\displaystyle F(e_2)=(-1,-2,-2)\) that means \(\displaystyle F(e_1)+F(e_2)=(0,0,1)\) so \(\displaystyle F(e_3)=(12,3,3)\) I was not thinking clear, I did confuse this in my brain but now I see!

Regards,
\(\displaystyle |\pi\rangle\)

1. What is a linear transformation?

A linear transformation is a mathematical function that maps one vector space to another vector space while preserving the basic structure of the space, such as the zero vector and the operations of vector addition and scalar multiplication.

2. How do you solve for F given 3 equations?

To solve for F in a linear transformation with 3 equations, you can use the method of substitution or elimination. First, rearrange the equations to isolate the F term. Then, substitute or eliminate variables to solve for F.

3. Can a linear transformation have more than 3 equations?

Yes, a linear transformation can have any number of equations. However, to solve for F, you will need at least as many equations as there are variables.

4. What is the purpose of solving for F in a linear transformation?

Solving for F allows you to find the specific function that maps one vector space to another. This can be useful in many areas of science, such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for solving linear transformations?

There are some common patterns and techniques that can make solving linear transformations easier, such as using matrices and Gaussian elimination. However, the best approach will depend on the specific equations and variables involved.