Linearity and non-linearity in addition and multiplication

In summary, addition is linear because it follows the properties of a linear function, while multiplication is bilinear because it follows the properties of both arguments being linear functions. On the other hand, addition is not linear in either argument, as it does not follow the properties of a linear function in either case.
Thytanium
Homework Statement
I don't know how to prove the non-linearity of multiplication.
Relevant Equations
No relevant equations.
Hello friends. Excuse my ignorance. Why is addition linear and not multiplication?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thytanium said:
Homework Statement:: I don't know how to prove the non-linearity of multiplication.
Relevant Equations:: No relevant equations.

Hello friends. Excuse my ignorance. Why is addition linear and not multiplication?
Multiplication ##R\times R\longrightarrow R## is bilinear:
$$
(\alpha\cdot r+\beta\cdot s,t) \longmapsto \alpha \cdot r\cdot t+\beta \cdot s \cdot t\; , \;
(r,\alpha\cdot s+\beta\cdot t) \longmapsto r\cdot\alpha \cdot s+r\cdot\beta \cdot t
$$
So, what do you mean?

Likes FactChecker and Thytanium
fresh_42 said:
Multiplication ##R\times R\longrightarrow R## is bilinear:
$$
(\alpha\cdot r+\beta\cdot s,t) \longmapsto \alpha \cdot r\cdot t+\beta \cdot s \cdot t\; , \;
(r,\alpha\cdot s+\beta\cdot t) \longmapsto r\cdot\alpha \cdot s+r\cdot\beta \cdot t
$$
So, what do you mean?
Hello friend fresh_42. Thanks for answering me. I don't understand the result of this operation: ##(\alpha\cdot r+\beta\cdot s,t)## Please give me a link where I can study this.

Thytanium said:
Hello friend fresh_42. Thanks for answering me. I don't understand the result of this operation: ##(\alpha\cdot r+\beta\cdot s,t)## Please give me a link where I can study this.
Multiplication is a binary operation. It takes two inputs and generates one output: ##m\, : \,(p,q) \longmapsto p\cdot q.## A function ##f## is linear if ##f(\alpha x+\beta y)=\alpha f(x) +\beta f(y).## Now, let's look at the first input variable of multiplication: ##m(\alpha x+\beta y, q)=(\alpha x+\beta y)\cdot q = \alpha x\cdot q +\beta y \cdot q =\alpha m(x,q)+\beta m(y,q).## This means ##m(\, . \,,q)## is linear in the first argument. The same is true for the second argument, so ##m(p,\, . \,)## is linear, too. This means that ##m(\, . \,,\, . \,)## is linear in both arguments, i.e. it is bilinear.

• Love
Likes Delta2 and Thytanium
fresh_42 said:
Multiplication is a binary operation. It takes two inputs and generates one output: ##m\, : \,(p,q) \longmapsto p\cdot q.## A function ##f## is linear if ##f(\alpha x+\beta y)=\alpha f(x) +\beta f(y).## Now, let's look at the first input variable of multiplication: ##m(\alpha x+\beta y, q)=(\alpha x+\beta y)\cdot q = \alpha x\cdot q +\beta y \cdot q =\alpha m(x,q)+\beta m(y,q).## This means ##m(\, . \,,q)## is linear in the first argument. The same is true for the second argument, so ##m(p,\, . \,)## is linear, too. This means that ##m(\, . \,,\, . \,)## is linear in both arguments, i.e. it is bilinear.
Wonderful explanation fresh_42. Grateful to you friend. Good day.

:biggrin::biggrin:

Addition, on the other hand, is not linear in either argument because with ##(a,b) \mapsto a+b## then
$$
(a_1+a_2,b) \mapsto a_1+a_2 +b
$$
whereas it should map to ##a_1+a_2+2b## if addition was linear in the first argument.

(Addition of zero is linear in the other argument, but that’s just the identity map…)

Likes Thytanium, FactChecker and fresh_42
Orodruin said:
Addition, on the other hand, is not linear in either argument because with ##(a,b) \mapsto a+b## then
$$
$$
whereas it should map to ##a_1+a_2+2b## if addition was linear in the first argument.

(Addition of zero is linear in the other argument, but that’s just the identity map…)
Thank you Orodruin for this interesting information. I did not know that the sum was not linear in his arguments. That is very interesting. But I don't understand why if the sum were linear in the first argument it would produce ##a_1 + a_2 + 2b## and excuse my ignorance. Thanks again my friend. I will study more this information.

Thytanium said:
Thank you Orodruin for this interesting information. I did not know that the sum was not linear in his arguments. That is very interesting. But I don't understand why if the sum were linear in the first argument it would produce ##a_1 + a_2 + 2b## and excuse my ignorance. Thanks again my friend. I will study more this information.
If ##f(a,b) = a+b## would be linear in the first argument, then
$$
(a_1 + a_2) + b = f(a_1+a_2,b) = f(a_1,b)+f(a_2,b)
= (a_1+b) + (a_2+b) = a_1+a_2 + 2b
$$
This is only true if ##b=0## and not generally true for any ##b##.

• Love
Likes Thytanium
The concept length is linear:
The length of two trees is the sum of the lengths of each of them.
The length of half a tree is the half length of the original tree.

The concept of area is quadratic and non-linear.

The concept of volume is cubic and non-quadratic and non-linear.

However, length is not addition, area not multiplication, and volume not exponentiation. We have to distinguish between the operations and the interpretation of their results.

• Love
Likes Thytanium and Orodruin
Orodruin said:
$$
$$

Thank you Orodruin for your PF Insights and especially for The Birth of a Textbook. Little by little I will read them. They are very interesting. Thank you friend.

Orodruin said:
If ##f(a,b) = a+b## would be linear in the first argument, then
$$
(a_1 + a_2) + b = f(a_1+a_2,b) = f(a_1,b)+f(a_2,b)
= (a_1+b) + (a_2+b) = a_1+a_2 + 2b
$$
This is only true if ##b=0## and not generally true for any ##b##.
Thanks you my friend Orodruin. Happy Day.

fresh_42 said:
The concept length is linear:
The length of two trees is the sum of the lengths of each of them.
The length of half a tree is the half length of the original tree.

The concept of area is quadratic and non-linear.

The concept of volume is cubic and non-quadratic and non-linear.

However, length is not addition, area not multiplication, and volume not exponentiation. We have to distinguish between the operations and the interpretation of their results.
Wonderful clarification fresh_42. Very grateful to you friend.

@Thytanium : Can you test for the bilinearity of Inner-product, Cross -Product?

WWGD said:
@Thytanium : Can you test for the bilinearity of Inner-product, Cross -Product?
Yes I can. It's simple. If I have two vectors A and B and do the inner product A.B, to prove bilinearity first with vector A, I do (kA).B where k is a scalar. So that's equal to k(A.B) = kA.B and then with vector B it's the same procedure so the inner product of two vectors is doubly linear. And for the cross-product AxB, where "x" is the cross-product symbol, I do the same.

1. What is linearity in addition and multiplication?

Linearity in addition and multiplication refers to the property of operations where the output is directly proportional to the input. In other words, when adding or multiplying two numbers, the result is always a multiple of the input numbers.

2. What is non-linearity in addition and multiplication?

Non-linearity in addition and multiplication refers to the property of operations where the output is not directly proportional to the input. This means that when adding or multiplying two numbers, the result is not always a multiple of the input numbers.

3. How can I identify linearity and non-linearity in addition and multiplication?

To identify linearity and non-linearity in addition and multiplication, you can plot the input and output values on a graph. If the points form a straight line, the operation is linear. If the points do not form a straight line, the operation is non-linear.

4. What are some examples of linear and non-linear operations in addition and multiplication?

An example of a linear operation in addition is adding a constant number to a variable. An example of a non-linear operation in addition is squaring a number. In multiplication, an example of a linear operation is multiplying a number by a constant. An example of a non-linear operation in multiplication is raising a number to a power.

5. Why is understanding linearity and non-linearity important in mathematics and science?

Understanding linearity and non-linearity is important in mathematics and science because many natural phenomena can be described using linear or non-linear relationships. By understanding these concepts, scientists can make accurate predictions and models to explain real-world phenomena and make advancements in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.