How Is a Nonlinear Equation Linearized in FEM Software?

In summary, the conversation discusses the linearization of a nonlinear equation in a FEM software manual. The manual mentions the nonlinear equation Y= G^(-1) * X + a * X^3 and the linearized equation Y(i+1) = (G^(-1) + a * X(i)^2) * X(i+1). The process involves factoring out an "X" and converting the equation to a recursive form. The linearization is achieved by using the first two terms of the Taylor series in incremental form.
aamirmub
Hi,

I am trying to understand an example from a FEM software manual. The manual mentions a nonlinear equation http://aamir-pc:2080/v6.9/books/exa/graphics/exa_eqn00137.gif and this equation is linearized to obtain http://aamir-pc:2080/v6.9/books/exa/graphics/exa_eqn00152.gif .[/URL] Can anyone please explain how this has been done?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
You need to fix your messages. The two equations don't show up.

The nonlinear equation is Y= G^(-1) * X + a * X^3 where G and a are constants. The linearized equation is Y(i+1) = (G^(-1) + a * X(i)^2) * X(i+1) where i and i+1 are superscripts.

The first thing done is factor out an "X": Y= (G-1+ aX2)X. The next thing done was convert to a recursive form by treating the separate "X"s as if they were different terms in a sequence: Yi+1= (G-1+ aXi2)Xi+1. Given a starting value, X1, you could then calculate a sequence of "Y"s. If that sequence convertes, then [itex]Y= \lim_{i\to\infty}Y^i[/itex] will satisfy that equation: [itex]\lim_{i\to \infty} Y^i= (G^{-1}+ a(\lim_{i\to\infty}X^i)^2)(\lim_{i\to\infty}X^{i+1})[/itex] and, since "Xi" and "Xi+1" refer to the same sequence they both converge to the same limit, X.

Thank you for your reply. Is the linearization carried out using the first two terms of the taylor series in incremental form?

FAQ: How Is a Nonlinear Equation Linearized in FEM Software?

1. What is linearization of a function?

Linearization of a function is the process of approximating a nonlinear function with a linear function. This is done by finding the equation of the tangent line at a specific point on the nonlinear function.

2. Why is linearization of a function important?

Linearization of a function is important because it allows us to simplify complex nonlinear functions into simpler linear functions. This makes it easier to analyze and understand the behavior of the original function.

3. How is linearization of a function calculated?

Linearization of a function is calculated by finding the derivative of the function at a specific point and using it to construct the equation of the tangent line at that point. The equation of the tangent line is then used as an approximation of the original function.

4. What is the difference between linearization and linear approximation?

Linearization and linear approximation are closely related concepts, but there is a subtle difference. Linearization involves finding the equation of the tangent line at a specific point on a nonlinear function, while linear approximation involves approximating the value of a function at a specific point using the equation of the tangent line.

5. In what real-world applications is linearization of a function used?

Linearization of a function is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to approximate complex nonlinear relationships between variables. It is also used in regression analysis to find the best-fit line for a set of data points.