1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linearization of a function

1. Nov 14, 2009 #1
    Hi,

I am trying to understand an example from a FEM software manual. The manual mentions a nonlinear equation http://aamir-pc:2080/v6.9/books/exa/graphics/exa_eqn00137.gif [Broken] and this equation is linearized to obtain http://aamir-pc:2080/v6.9/books/exa/graphics/exa_eqn00152.gif [Broken].[/URL] Can any one please explain how this has been done?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2009 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You need to fix your messages. The two equations don't show up.

4. Nov 14, 2009 #3
    The nonlinear equation is Y= G^(-1) * X + a * X^3 where G and a are constants. The linearized equation is Y(i+1) = (G^(-1) + a * X(i)^2) * X(i+1) where i and i+1 are superscripts.

5. Nov 15, 2009 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The first thing done is factor out an "X": Y= (G-1+ aX2)X. The next thing done was convert to a recursive form by treating the separate "X"s as if they were different terms in a sequence: Yi+1= (G-1+ aXi2)Xi+1. Given a starting value, X1, you could then calculate a sequence of "Y"s. If that sequence convertes, then [itex]Y= \lim_{i\to\infty}Y^i[/itex] will satisfy that equation: [itex]\lim_{i\to \infty} Y^i= (G^{-1}+ a(\lim_{i\to\infty}X^i)^2)(\lim_{i\to\infty}X^{i+1})[/itex] and, since "Xi" and "Xi+1" refer to the same sequence they both converge to the same limit, X.

6. Nov 15, 2009 #5
    Thank you for your reply. Is the linearization carried out using the first two terms of the taylor series in incremental form?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook