Linearly Independent Equations => 1 solution?

In summary: Thanks for your help.In summary, the three equations in 3 variables are linearly independent and if we view the equations as vectors, none of the vectors would be coplanar to the plane spanned by the other two. However, to solve for a single solution, one must do Gaussian elimination on the system of equations.
nickadams

Homework Statement

Prove that if you have 3 linearly independent equations in 3 variables, then there exists only 1 solution to the system.

Homework Equations

linear independence implies none of the equations can be expressed as a linear combination of the other equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

having 3 linearly independent equations in 3 variables means that if we viewed the equations as vectors, none of the vectors would be coplanar to the plane spanned by the two other vectors. So this means any of the vectors will cross the plane spanned by the other two at only 1 point.

But how to prove this?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
why not say each solution represents a plane and no two planes are parallel hence they intersect in only one point

but do a contradiction proof where you assume that they have more than one solution and then show that leads to a contradiction.

jedishrfu said:
why not say each solution represents a plane and no two planes are parallel hence they intersect in only one point
Do you mean "each equation represents a plane..."?
It's possible to have three planes with none being parallel to any of the others, yet they intersect in a line.

Here's a very simple example (each equation represents a plane in R3):
x + y = 0
2x - y = 0
x - y = 0
jedishrfu said:
but do a contradiction proof where you assume that they have more than one solution and then show that leads to a contradiction.

So how would you suggest to approach the problem, Mark44?

... Or anyone else?

Last edited:
nickadams said:
So how would you suggest to approach the problem, Mark44?

... Or anyone else?

If it were me I would just do Gaussian elimination on the system of equations.

RGV

Last edited:
What precisely do you mean when you say the equations are linearly independent and when you say "if we viewed the equations as vectors"?

Ray Vickson said:

RGV

But would that work if I wanted to prove that for a general augmented coefficient matrix in representing a system of 3 linear equations in 3 variables where the equations are not linear transformations of one another?

vela said:
What precisely do you mean when you say the equations are linearly independent and when you say "if we viewed the equations as vectors"?

When I say the equations are linearly independent, I mean the rows of the augmented coefficient matrix cannot be expressed as linear combinations of each other. And when I said "if we view the equations as vectors" I was just trying to get a way to visualize the rows of the coefficient matrix and why their being linearly independent would imply a single solution.

Thanks

Ray Vickson said:

nickadams said:
But would that work if I wanted to prove that for a general augmented coefficient matrix in representing a system of 3 linear equations in 3 variables where the equations are not linear transformations of one another?
What I'm getting now is that this is more of a theoretical problem. You are not actually given the three equations - is that correct?

If so, then obviously you can't do Gaussian elimination or row reduction on the rows of your augmented matrix.

What would have to be true, though, is that if you write your system of three equations as a 3 X 4 augmented matrix, and reduce it to reduced, row-echelon form, the left part of your matrix must be the 3 X 3 identity matrix.
nickadams said:
When I say the equations are linearly independent, I mean the rows of the augmented coefficient matrix cannot be expressed as linear combinations of each other. And when I said "if we view the equations as vectors" I was just trying to get a way to visualize the rows of the coefficient matrix and why their being linearly independent would imply a single solution.

Thanks

Mark44 said:
What I'm getting now is that this is more of a theoretical problem. You are not actually given the three equations - is that correct?

If so, then obviously you can't do Gaussian elimination or row reduction on the rows of your augmented matrix.

What would have to be true, though, is that if you write your system of three equations as a 3 X 4 augmented matrix, and reduce it to reduced, row-echelon form, the left part of your matrix must be the 3 X 3 identity matrix.

Of course you can "do" Gaussian elimination on a purely symbolic system. That is one of the ways in which some general linear algebra theorems are proved, or some algorithms are implemented.

RGV

nickadams said:
You have to be a little careful here. For example, the augmented matrix
$$\left(\begin{array}{cc|c}
1 & 0 & 1 \\
1 & 0 & 2
\end{array}\right)$$ has linearly independent rows, but there's no solution because the system is inconsistent.

What you really want is for the rows of the matrix representing the coefficients to be linearly independent.

1. What does it mean for equations to be linearly independent?

Linear independence refers to a set of equations where no equation can be derived from a linear combination of the other equations. This means that each equation in the set provides unique and necessary information, and there is no redundancy in the set.

2. How can we determine if a set of equations is linearly independent?

To determine if a set of equations is linearly independent, we can use the determinant method. If the determinant of the coefficients of the equations is non-zero, then the equations are linearly independent. Another way is to try to solve the equations and see if there is only one unique solution.

3. What is the significance of linearly independent equations having only one solution?

When a set of equations is linearly independent and has only one solution, it means that the equations are consistent and have a unique solution. This is important in many applications, such as in solving systems of equations in engineering, physics, and economics.

4. Can a set of linearly dependent equations have only one solution?

No, a set of linearly dependent equations will either have infinitely many solutions or no solutions at all. This is because if the equations are dependent, one equation can be derived from the other, making the system over-determined or inconsistent.

5. How does linear independence relate to the rank of a matrix?

The rank of a matrix is the number of linearly independent columns or rows in the matrix. If a matrix has a rank equal to the number of variables in the system of equations, then the equations are linearly independent and have a unique solution. If the rank is less than the number of variables, then the equations are linearly dependent and have either infinitely many solutions or no solutions at all.