Linearly varying force and bending moment problem.

In summary, The conversation is about the difficulty of rotating images on a phone to make them legible. The person with the problem is struggling to reduce an equation and is asking for help. The other person is unable to view the thumbnails attached and suggests reposting the images for better visibility.
ajayguhan
I have attached both the question and my attempt at solution.

My problem is reducing the equation further to get the value of a/L

Attachments

• 1411051609751.jpg
    1411051609751.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 452
  • 1411051694307.jpg
    1411051694307.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 396
  • 1411051731932.jpg
    1411051731932.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 387
  • 1411051751432.jpg
    1411051751432.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 396
Physics news on Phys.org
Have mercy on us. Rotate your phone when you take images of your work. It's very difficult to rotate the thumbnails and get a legible image. Good luck with your problem.

You can rotate it easily nah ...? What's the problem in rotating the image. If my work is not legible then just say, I'll repost it better than now.

Sorry, I tried downloading and viewing the thumbnails attached to the OP. Things just got worse after that. I'd like to help, but not at the cost of a sore neck.

I would like to provide a response to your question about reducing the equation further to get the value of a/L in the problem of linearly varying force and bending moment.

Firstly, it is important to understand the context of the problem and the variables involved. In this case, we have a beam subjected to a linearly varying force and bending moment along its length. The beam has a length of L and is supported at both ends. The force acting on the beam varies from 0 at one end to F at the other end, and the bending moment varies from 0 at one end to M at the other end.

To reduce the equation further and obtain the value of a/L, we need to use the equations of equilibrium and the relationship between force, bending moment, and stress in a beam. By applying the equations of equilibrium, we can determine the reactions at the supports, which will help us in solving for a/L.

Next, we can use the relationship between force, bending moment, and stress in a beam, which is given by the equation σ = My/I, where σ is the stress, M is the bending moment, y is the distance from the neutral axis, and I is the moment of inertia. By substituting the values of force and bending moment at any point along the beam, we can determine the corresponding stress value.

Once we have the stress value, we can use the stress formula for a rectangular cross-section beam, which is given by σ = (6M/aL)(h/2), where h is the height of the beam. By equating this formula with the stress value obtained from the previous equation, we can solve for a/L.

In summary, to reduce the equation further and obtain the value of a/L in the problem of linearly varying force and bending moment, we need to use the equations of equilibrium, the relationship between force, bending moment, and stress in a beam, and the stress formula for a rectangular cross-section beam. I hope this explanation helps you in solving the problem.

1. What is a linearly varying force and bending moment problem?

A linearly varying force and bending moment problem involves analyzing the effects of a force applied to a structural element that causes a change in the bending moment along the length of the element. This type of problem is commonly encountered in engineering and can be solved using principles of mechanics and mathematics.

2. How do you determine the magnitude and direction of the bending moment in a linearly varying force and bending moment problem?

The magnitude and direction of the bending moment can be determined by calculating the integral of the force along the length of the structural element. This integral represents the area under the force curve and is directly related to the bending moment at any given point along the element.

3. What factors can affect the magnitude and direction of the bending moment in a linearly varying force and bending moment problem?

The magnitude and direction of the bending moment can be affected by several factors, including the location and orientation of the applied force, the shape and properties of the structural element, and any external constraints on the element.

4. How can you solve a linearly varying force and bending moment problem?

A linearly varying force and bending moment problem can be solved using mathematical equations and principles of equilibrium and mechanics. The process typically involves breaking down the structural element into smaller segments and analyzing the forces and moments acting on each segment.

5. What are some real-world applications of linearly varying force and bending moment problems?

Linearly varying force and bending moment problems are commonly encountered in the design and analysis of various structures, such as bridges, buildings, and beams. They are also important in understanding the behavior of materials under different loading conditions, which can be applied in fields such as aerospace engineering and materials science.