Link with spring-mass-damper system

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of a differential equation relating mass position (x) to hinge position (y) for a mechanical system with a rotating link. There is also a discussion about the effect of considering the displacement of x with reference to y and the application of a force (F) at y. The conversation also mentions the derivation of an equation relating y to the rotation angle (theta), as well as the use of a servo motor and PID loop in the system. The conversation concludes with a suggestion to measure x and y from an equilibrium/rest position to better understand their interaction.
trojsi
From this mechanical part (attached), I need to derive a differential equation relating mass 'x' position to hinge 'y' position.

[itex]\ddot{x}m + b\dot{x} + cx = F[/itex]

The link l would be rotating. I am confused about considering the displacement of x with reference to y. Would this change the differential equation by replacing x with (x-y) ?

I derived an equation to relate 'y' with [itex]\theta[/itex] ;

[itex]y = lsin(\theta)[/itex]

Finally I also need to derive a differential equation from the previous two to relate the loading torque on the shaft for some rotation theta.

[itex]\tau = (\ddot{x}m + b\dot{x} + cx)lcos(\theta)[/itex]

I would really appreciate if you can give me some hints on my work. thanks

Attachments

• servo_control.png
    servo_control.png
    3.4 KB · Views: 514
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Damped-driven harmonic motion with feedback?
Is the servo "active" (it is being driven by a motor and the second mass is just a counter-balance?) ... the it is just providing the f(t) in the standard equations.

I need to investigate some tight control on an open loop modelling of a servo motor linked with a spring mass damper system.
The linkage with spring mass damper is stable with a counterbalance on the other side. The aim is to shift the mass (by the servo) of the s-m-d system and eliminate oscillations as much as possible. The servo is modeled as having a feedback loop with theta. I will also be implementing a PID loop in the servo controller but the spring-mass-damper is open loop.

I already derived the transfer functions and state space for the servo which is simply a DC motor with a 10:1 gearbox.

My main confusion right now are the equations in my previous post. I need these in order to simulate everything together in simulink. attached

Attachments

• servo model.pdf
    58.8 KB · Views: 254
Gotcha:
trojsi said:
From this mechanical part (attached), I need to derive a differential equation relating mass 'x' position to hinge 'y' position.

[itex]\ddot{x}m + b\dot{x} + cx = F[/itex]

The link l would be rotating. I am confused about considering the displacement of x with reference to y. Would this change the differential equation by replacing x with (x-y) ?
The F in the above relation is being applied at y - y moving up and down is what is generating it.
I derived an equation to relate 'y' with [itex]\theta[/itex] ;

[itex]y = l\sin(\theta)[/itex]
If ##\theta## is expected to be small enough that you can discount lateral movement then ##\sin(\theta)\approx \theta##
considering the idea is to minimize oscillations, that seems reasonable.

measure x from some equilibrium/rest position and y likewise ... then you'll see better how they interact.

Simon Bridge said:
If ##\theta## is expected to be small enough that you can discount lateral movement then ##\sin(\theta)\approx \theta##
considering the idea is to minimize oscillations, that seems reasonable.

I cannot assume this. The system has to remain non linear that is why it will be simulated via simulink. Dont worry, I will not be working any calc with a non linear system.
Simon Bridge said:
The F in the above relation is being applied at y - y moving up and down is what is generating it.
measure x from some equilibrium/rest position and y likewise ... then you'll see better how they interact.

Do you mean [itex]y-y_{o}[/itex] ? Then how would the differential equation be?

What is a spring-mass-damper system?

A spring-mass-damper system is a mechanical system composed of a mass, a spring, and a damper that work together to produce oscillatory motion. The spring provides the restoring force, the mass provides the inertia, and the damper dissipates energy to control the motion of the system.

How is a link used in a spring-mass-damper system?

A link, also known as a connecting rod, is used to join the spring and the mass together in a spring-mass-damper system. It serves as a connection that allows the mass to move with the spring and the damper, and also transfers the force from the spring to the mass.

What is the equation of motion for a spring-mass-damper system?

The equation of motion for a spring-mass-damper system is a second-order differential equation that describes the motion of the mass in response to the applied force from the spring and the damping force from the damper. It is represented by the equation m∈ + c∈ + k∈ = F(t), where m is the mass, c is the damping coefficient, k is the spring constant, and F(t) is the applied force at time t.

What is the natural frequency of a spring-mass-damper system?

The natural frequency of a spring-mass-damper system is the frequency at which the system will oscillate without any external force applied. It is determined by the mass, spring constant, and damping coefficient, and is calculated using the formula fn = 1/(2π√(m / k)).

How does damping affect the behavior of a spring-mass-damper system?

Damping affects the behavior of a spring-mass-damper system by reducing the amplitude and changing the frequency of the oscillations. A higher damping coefficient results in a faster decay of the oscillations and a lower amplitude. In contrast, a lower damping coefficient allows the oscillations to continue for a longer time and results in a larger amplitude.