MathCAD/MatLab program for non-linear spring-mass-damper system

In summary: Then I would plot the resulting state-space function against time. In summary, the cutting force affects the surface finish inaccurately.
sailsinthesun

Homework Statement

The cutting force developed during a particular machining operation is shown in figure (a).
Model the system as a SDF with equivalent mass of the cutting head = 25 kg. The damping is linear viscous (ξ = 0.1), and the equivalent spring is nonlinear “hardening” spring of the form k = k1 + k2*x^2, where k1 = 400 kN/m, and k2 = 40 kN/m3. Assume the initial conditions x(0) = 0 and
x' (0) = 0.

I need to write a computer program in MathCAD, Matlab, or similar to solve this problem.(These two programs are available to me)

(a) Draw the analytical model and write the D.E. of the motion of the system.
(b) Computer printout of the program listing.
(c) Computer output of results (t, x, x' )
(d) Computer plot for x(t) vs. t
(e) Computer plot for x'(t) vs. t
(f) Compute the inaccuracies (in the vertical direction) in the surface finish due to the cutting force.

Homework Equations

m(d^2y/dt^2)+c(dy/dt)+ky=Fo*sin(wt)

The Attempt at a Solution

The first real problem I've run into is modeling the non-linear spring. In MathCAD, when I put k:= 400+40y^2 it's saying y is undefined, which is true, but how should I define it? I'm not given like 0<y<5 or anything, so again, how should it be defined?

Attachments

• problem5.JPG
    problem5.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 1,028
  • problem6.JPG
    problem6.JPG
    8.7 KB · Views: 942
Physics news on Phys.org
did you ever get this complete?

Not sure why you bumped a year old thread, but can't you just solve this by reducing it to a system of first order ODES and applying a runge kutta method or something similar?

The Gringo said:
Not sure why you bumped a year old thread, but can't you just solve this by reducing it to a system of first order ODES and applying a runge kutta method or something similar?
Given that it's intended to be solved in Mathcad or Matlab (the latter with no presumption of the symbolic toolbox), it would seem that's the appropriate general method.

However, the first step is to express the actual system as a DE using the variables given. (Apart from not being in the correct form for an ODE, the Mathcad fragment doesn't even use the same variable).

Does anybody have anymore insight into this problem?

I would take my equations of motion, convert them to a state-space form, and write a simulation using ode45 in MATLAB.

1. What is a non-linear spring-mass-damper system?

A non-linear spring-mass-damper system is a mathematical model used to study the behavior of a system consisting of a mass attached to a spring and a damper. Unlike a linear system, the spring stiffness and damping coefficient in a non-linear system vary with the displacement and velocity of the mass, making it more complex and realistic.

2. What is MathCAD/MatLab program and how is it used for non-linear spring-mass-damper systems?

MathCAD and MatLab are computer programs that use numerical methods to solve mathematical equations and analyze data. They can be used to simulate and analyze the behavior of non-linear spring-mass-damper systems by solving the differential equations that describe the system's motion.

3. What are the advantages of using MathCAD/MatLab for non-linear spring-mass-damper systems?

MathCAD/MatLab programs offer a wide range of tools and functions for solving complex mathematical problems, making it easier to study the behavior of non-linear spring-mass-damper systems. These programs also provide visual representations of the system's motion, making it easier to interpret and analyze the results.

4. How do I set up a non-linear spring-mass-damper system in MathCAD/MatLab?

In MathCAD/MatLab, you can set up a non-linear spring-mass-damper system by defining the equations that describe the system's motion, including the mass, spring stiffness, and damping coefficient. You can also specify the initial conditions and any external forces acting on the system. The program will then solve the equations and provide the results.

5. Can MathCAD/MatLab be used to analyze the stability of a non-linear spring-mass-damper system?

Yes, MathCAD/MatLab can be used to analyze the stability of a non-linear spring-mass-damper system. By solving the equations of motion and plotting the resulting solutions, you can determine the stability of the system. If the solutions converge to a fixed point, the system is stable. If the solutions diverge, the system is unstable.