1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linking Fourier Transform, Vectors and Complex Numbers

1. Jan 29, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2jaf9yv.png

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried to attempt the question but I am not sure how to start it, at least for part (i).

My biggest question, I think, is how does the multiplication of a random complex number to a Fourier-Transformed signal (V(f)) have an effect on V(f)? Although the question did not specify the type of signal that has been Fourier-Transformed, I shall assume that the original signal is a cosine waveform, as shown below:

2w6w5d2.png with fm=1.

In the question, it also mentioned to visualise V(f) and cV(f) as vectors in the complex plane, but how should I do it? Are there any diagrams online that show me how to represent cV(f) and V(f) as vectors in the complex plane?

Thank you. :)

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2015 #2
    I'd suggest you start by answering the following:
    1. For some frequency ##f##, what does the modulus and argument of ##V(f)## represent? The first paragraph of the Wiki should be helpful.
    2. If you have two complex numbers in polar form ##z_1 = r_1\angle\phi_1,z_2 = r_2\angle\phi_2##, what is their product ##z_1 z_2## equal to?

4. Jan 31, 2015 #3
    1. The modulus of ##V(f)## represents the amplitude of ##v(t)##, while the argument of ##V(f)## represents the phase angle of ##v(f)##.

2. The product should be equals to ##r_1r_2\angle(\phi_1+\phi_2)##. Am I right to say this?

Thank you. :)

5. Jan 31, 2015 #4
    The modulus and argument of ##V(f)## represents the amplitude and phase, respectively, of the frequency component at ##f##, but you get the idea.

Yes, you are. For your first question (i), you again have two complex numbers ##c## and ##V(f)##, so what can you say about their product ##cV(f)##?

6. Jan 31, 2015 #5
    There will be an increase in the amplitude of the wave which has been Fourier Transformed, while for the angle, it would be shifted x radians away to the left, since the angles will add up when ##c## is multiplied to ##V(f)##. Am I right to say this? :)

7. Jan 31, 2015 #6
    You're talking about the vector interpretation of complex numbers? Like, if ##\arg(c)## is positive, the vector ##V(f)## would be scaled and rotated counterclockwise in the complex plane? That's how I understand what you wrote, and it's true, so it seems you already know everything you need to solve your assignment.

Do you have any questions?

8. Jan 31, 2015 #7
    I was visualising it from a mathematical viewpoint, as in the earlier question, multiplying 2 complex numbers, ##z_1## and ##z_2##.

Right now, I still can't really link the vector diagram of complex numbers to the plot of amplitude-frequency of waves, I think. >< The latter, from my point of view, is a diagram of spikes coming out at different frequencies, depending on the original wave.

I do agree that the vector ##V(f)## will be rotated anti-clockwise as the summing of angles is positive.

Thanks a lot for your help! :D

9. Jan 31, 2015 #8
    Ah, you mean the amplitude spectrum, e.g:

Voicing%20Fig%203.gif

But that's just a plot of ##|V(f)|## over some interval of ##f##, i.e. it's a plot of the modulus of ##V(f)##. In some contexts, you also include the phase spectrum, which is just a plot of ##\arg(V(f))##.

Does that help?

10. Jan 31, 2015 #9
    I see. Yupp, I meant that. Haha. That was the diagram shown in my lecture notes, so I can link to it better. :)

Yes, and thank you so much for your help! :D I should be fine with my assignment now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted