Lipschitz ODE Problem: Proving Inequality for Locally Lipschitz Function

In summary: If so, then what is the value of 'a'?Is a \int^t_{t_0} \psi(s) \phi(s) \, ds + M equal to M e^{a \int^t_{t_0} \psi(s) \, ds ? My basics is a little... err, basic. :roll:If so, then what is the value of 'a'?Yes, they are equal. 'a' is a positive constant that depends on the function \psi and the interval [t_0, T]. It can be found using the proof of Gronwall's inequality.
wu_weidong

Homework Statement

Suppose the function f(t,x) is locally Lipschitz on the domain G in R^2, that is, |f(t,x_1)-f(t,x_2)| <= k(t) |x_1 - x_2| for all (t, x_1),(t,x_2) in G. Define I = (a,b) and phi_1(t) and phi_2(t) are 2 continuous functions on I. Assume that, if (t, phi_i(t)) is in G, then the function f(t, phi_i(t)) is an integrable function on I for i = 1, 2. Suppose that for i = 1,2 and t in I,

phi_i(t) = phi_i(t_0) + INTEGRATE (from t_0 to t){ f(s, phi_i(t)) }ds + E_i(t)

and (phi_1(t_0) - phi_2(t_0)| <= d

for some constant d. Show that for all t in (t_0, b) we have

|phi_1(t) - phi_2(t)| <= d exp(INTEGRATE(from t_0 to t){ k(s) }ds) + E(t) + INTEGRATE(from t_0 to t){ E(s)k(s)exp[INTEGRATE(from t_0 to s) { k(r) } dr] }ds

where E(t) = |E_1(t)| + |E_2(t)|

The Attempt at a Solution

I managed to get d exp(INTEGRATE(from t_0 to t) k(s) ds) using triangle inequality and Gronwall's inequality, but I cannot seem to get the last 2 terms in the inequality.

Here's what I did:

|phi_1(t) - phi_2(t)|
= |phi_1(t_0) + INTEGRATE (from t_0 to t){ f(s, phi_1(s)) }ds + E_1(t) - phi_2(t_0) - INTEGRATE (from t_0 to t){ f(s, phi_2(s)) }ds - E_2(t)|
= |phi_1(t_0) - phi_2(t_0) + INTEGRATE (from t_0 to t){ f(s, phi_1(s)) }ds - INTEGRATE (from t_0 to t){ f(s, phi_2(s)) }ds + E_1(t) - E_2(t)|
<= |phi_1(t_0) - phi_2(t_0)| + |INTEGRATE (from t_0 to t){ f(s, phi_1(s)) }ds - INTEGRATE (from t_0 to t){ f(s, phi_2(s)) }ds + E_1(t) - E_2(t)|
<= d + |E_1(t) - E_2(t)| + |INTEGRATE (from t_0 to t){ f(s, phi_1(s)) - f(s, phi_2(s)) }ds|
<= d + |E_1(t) - E_2(t)| + INTEGRATE (from t_0 to t){ |f(s, phi_1(s)) - f(s, phi_2(s))| }ds
<= d + |E_1(t) - E_2(t)| + INTEGRATE (from t_0 to t){ k(s)|phi_1(s) - phi_2(s)| } ds
<= (d + |E_1(t) - E_2(t)|) exp(INTEGRATE (from t_0 to t){ k(s) } ds)
= d exp(INTEGRATE (from t_0 to t){ k(s) } ds) + (|E_1(t) - E_2(t)|) exp(INTEGRATE (from t_0 to t){ k(s) } ds)

This is where I got stuck.

Please help.

Thank you.

Regards,
Rayne

Physics news on Phys.org
It would be much easier on the eye if you can re-type your post using [ t e x ] ... [ / t e x ] (single spaced).

If you have not used it before, click on the image to get a very basic starter course: [tex]\TeX[/tex]

I rewrote the question in tex.

Suppose the function f(t,x) is locally Lipschitz on the domain [tex]G \subset \mathbb{R}^2[/tex], that is, [tex]|f(t,x_1)-f(t,x_2)| \leq k(t) |x_1 - x_2|[/tex] for all [tex](t, x_1),(t,x_2) \in G[/tex]. Define I = (a,b) and [tex]\phi_1(t)[/tex] and [tex]\phi_2(t)[/tex] are 2 continuous functions on I. Assume that, if [tex](t, \phi_i(t)) \in G[/tex], then the function [tex]f(t, \phi_i(t))[/tex] is an integrable function on I for i = 1, 2. Suppose that for i = 1,2 and [tex]t \in I[/tex],

[tex]\phi_i(t) = \phi_i(t_0) + \int^t_{t_0} f(s, \phi_i(s))\,ds + E_i(t)[/tex]

and [tex]|\phi_1(t_0) - \phi_2(t_0)| \leq \delta[/tex]

for some constant [tex]\delta[/tex]. Show that for all [tex]t \in (t_0, b)[/tex] we have

[tex]|\phi_1(t) - \phi_2(t)| \leq \delta e^{\int^t_{t_0} k(s) \,ds} + E(t) + \int^t_{t_0} E(s) k(s) e^{\int^s_{t_0} k(r) \,dr} \,ds[/tex]

where [tex]E(t) = |E_1(t)| + |E_2(t)|[/tex]

I managed to get [tex]\delta e^{\int^t_{t_0} k(s) \,ds}[/tex] using triangle inequality and Gronwall's inequality, but I cannot seem to get the last 2 terms in the inequality.

Here's what I did:

[tex]|\phi_1(t) - \phi_2(t)|[/tex]
[tex]
= |\phi_1(t_0) + \int^t_{t_0} f(s, \phi_1(s)) \,ds + E_1(t) - \phi_2(t_0) - \int^t_{t_0} f(s, \phi_2(s)) \,ds - E_2(t)|[/tex]
[tex]
= |\phi_1(t_0) - \phi_2(t_0) + \int^t_{t_0} f(s, \phi_1(s)) \,ds - \int^t_{t_0} f(s, \phi_2(s)) \,ds + E_1(t) - E_2(t)|[/tex]
[tex]
\leq |\phi_1(t_0) - \phi_2(t_0)| + |\int^t_{t_0} f(s, \phi_1(s)) }ds - \int^t_{t_0} f(s, \phi_2(s)) \,ds + E_1(t) - E_2(t)|[/tex]
[tex]
\leq \delta + |E_1(t) - E_2(t)| + |\int^t_{t_0} f(s, \phi_1(s)) - f(s, \phi_2(s)) \,ds|
[/tex]
[tex]
\leq \delta + |E_1(t) + E_2(t)| + \int^t_{t_0} |f(s, \phi_1(s)) - f(s, \phi_2(s))| \,ds
[/tex]
[tex]\leq \delta + |E_1(t)| + |E_2(t)| + \int^t_{t_0} k(s)|\phi_1(s) - \phi_2(s)| \, ds[/tex]
[tex]\leq (\delta + E(t)) e^{\int^t_{t_0} k(s)\, ds}[/tex]
[tex]
= \delta e^{\int^t_{t_0} k(s) \, ds} + E(t) e^{\int^t_{t_0} k(s) \, ds[/tex]

This is where I got stuck.

How do you go from
[tex]\delta + |E_1(t)| + |E_2(t)| + \int^t_{t_0} k(s)|\phi_1(s) - \phi_2(s)| \, ds[/tex]
to the next step?

EnumaElish said:
How do you go from
[tex]\delta + |E_1(t)| + |E_2(t)| + \int^t_{t_0} k(s)|\phi_1(s) - \phi_2(s)| \, ds[/tex]
to the next step?

[tex]|E_1(t)| + |E_2(t)| = E(t)[/tex]

Taking Gronwall's inequality, that is,
[tex]\phi(t) \leq a \int^t_{t_0} \psi(s) \phi(s) \, ds + M,\, \, \, t_0 \leq t \leq t_0 + T[/tex]

gives for [tex]t_0 \leq t \leq t_0 + T[/tex]

[tex]\phi(t) \leq M e^{a \int^t_{t_0} \psi(s) \, ds}[/tex]

Therefore, taking [tex]\delta + E(t)[/tex] as M, [tex]|\phi_1(s) - \phi_2(s)|[/tex] as [tex]\phi(t)[/tex], and [tex]k(s)[/tex] as [tex]\psi(s)[/tex], I get

[tex](\delta + E(t)) e^{\int^t_{t_0} k(s)\, ds}[/tex]

Is [itex]a \int^t_{t_0} \psi(s) \phi(s) \, ds + M[/itex] equal to [itex]M e^{a \int^t_{t_0} \psi(s) \, ds[/itex] ? My basics is a little rusty.

Last edited:
EnumaElish said:
Is [itex]a \int^t_{t_0} \psi(s) \phi(s) \, ds + M[/itex] equal to [itex]M e^{a \int^t_{t_0} \psi(s) \, ds[/itex] ? My basics is a little rusty.

Yes, in the Gronwall's inequality.

Related to Lipschitz ODE Problem: Proving Inequality for Locally Lipschitz Function

1. What is the Lipschitz ODE problem?

The Lipschitz ODE problem involves proving an inequality for a locally Lipschitz function in order to find a solution to an ordinary differential equation (ODE). This problem is important in the field of mathematics and is commonly used in the study of dynamical systems.

2. What does it mean for a function to be locally Lipschitz?

A function is considered locally Lipschitz if there exists a constant L such that the absolute value of the difference between the function values at any two points in a small neighborhood is less than or equal to L times the distance between those points. In other words, the function has a bounded rate of change in a local region.

3. Why is it important to prove an inequality for a locally Lipschitz function in the Lipschitz ODE problem?

Proving an inequality for a locally Lipschitz function is crucial in solving the Lipschitz ODE problem because it allows us to guarantee the existence and uniqueness of a solution to the differential equation. It also helps in finding a numerical solution using methods such as Euler's method or Runge-Kutta methods.

4. What are some techniques used to prove the Lipschitz inequality?

There are various methods used to prove the Lipschitz inequality, including the mean value theorem, Gronwall's inequality, and the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality. These techniques involve analyzing the properties of the function and its derivatives to show that it satisfies the conditions for Lipschitz continuity.

5. What are some applications of the Lipschitz ODE problem?

The Lipschitz ODE problem has many applications in mathematics, physics, engineering, and other fields. It is used to model and analyze various systems, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits. It is also used in the development of numerical methods for solving differential equations, as well as in control theory and optimization problems.