What are some fun experiments with liquid nitrogen?

In summary: I also had a science teacher drop a I've goldfish in N2 pul it out and drop it in some water and it will come back to life.
gijsbert2002
Hello, I'm with a group called RINO (would give you a webiste, but don't have one yet). In Holland we go to schools to do shows with liquid nitrogen. At the moment we're trying to improve our show, so we're thinking about new experiments. I was hoping some of you might have a great suggestion.

Right now we're doing several things,
- change of sound when something is cooled down,
- what happens to fruits when they are cooled down (they become hard, some can shatter :cool: )
-make small explosive sounds when you put some water in a cup with LN2
-things shrink when they are coold down
-and as a new experiment we can create small amounts of liquid oxygen :tongue: and use that to relight a match that has gone out but still glows.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, Gijs.

whoops, this might just be more of a general physics subject.

Physics news on Phys.org
When I did similar physics demos in college for local grade schools, one that we did involved a small magnet that we cooled with LN2. It would levitate off of it's base as long as it was cold enough. I can't remember exactly what material the magnet was though.

Bit of liquid N2 in a coke bottle, cap on, then wait a few seconds...

Oh how the teachers didn't see the funny side.

Oh how the teachers didn't see the funny side.
Today 06:31 PM

Normally, we try not to kill the people we're trying to give an interest in physics, but if you insist :biggrin:
We keep very high standards of safety including special trainings in safety and extensive tests on everything we do, so we're looking for fun, but safe or "can be made safe" experiments. For example, the liquid O2 experiment is in general not safe, but because we're using really small amounts, working on a small place and having no contact with anything inflammable, it's safe.

When I did similar physics demos in college for local grade schools, one that we did involved a small magnet that we cooled with LN2. It would levitate off of it's base as long as it was cold enough. I can't remember exactly what material the magnet was though.

What floor was the magnet laying on?
We use magnets only to hover above a superconductor.

Last edited:
gijsbert2002 said:
What floor was the magnet laying on?
We use magnets only to hover above a superconductor.

Same thing here. It sounds like you are doing the same thing.

Does anyone have any more new ideas?

brewnog said:

Well you can make this a bit safer by using a cork rather than the cap...

Hold the cork on for a few seconds and let go... Should go flying across the room or hit the ceiling... :biggrin:

I also had a science teacher drop a I've goldfish in N2 pul it out and drop it in some water and it will come back to life. :bugeye:

We allready do the cork trick. It puts dents in the ceilings of classrooms and can reach more than 15 meters high. That's one of the more fun parts of the show.

1. What is liquid nitrogen and how is it used in experiments?

Liquid nitrogen (LN2) is a colorless, odorless, and extremely cold liquid with a boiling point of -195.79 °C. It is used in experiments as a coolant to achieve very low temperatures, making it useful for freezing and preserving biological samples, creating superconductors, and studying the properties of materials at extreme temperatures.

2. How is liquid nitrogen handled and stored safely in experiments?

Liquid nitrogen should always be handled with caution as it can cause severe burns and frostbite. It should only be handled by trained professionals wearing appropriate safety gear, such as cryogenic gloves and face shields. LN2 should also be stored in well-ventilated areas and in containers designed for its safe storage.

3. What are some common safety precautions when working with liquid nitrogen?

Some common safety precautions when working with LN2 include wearing appropriate personal protective equipment, using proper handling techniques, and ensuring proper ventilation in the laboratory. It is also important to avoid direct contact with LN2 or its vapors and to never seal it in a container as it can cause an explosion due to the rapid evaporation of the liquid.

4. What types of experiments can be conducted using liquid nitrogen?

Liquid nitrogen can be used in a variety of experiments, including freezing and preserving biological samples, studying cryogenics and superconductivity, and creating new materials with unique properties. It can also be used in demonstrations and activities to showcase the effects of extreme cold temperatures.

5. What are some potential hazards of working with liquid nitrogen?

Some potential hazards of working with LN2 include the risk of burns and frostbite, as well as the risk of asphyxiation if the gas displaces oxygen in a small, confined space. There is also a risk of explosion if the liquid is sealed in a container or if it comes into contact with certain materials, such as glass, at extreme temperatures.