Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

List all the moons in space

1. May 25, 2005 #1
    Could somebody list all the (known) moons for me in outer space, or just elaborate on that however they can for me

2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2005 #2

James R

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There are a LOT of moons out there to list. At last count, Jupiter had around 60 moons, and Saturn about the same number. Of the other planets, Earth has one moon, Mars has two, Uranus and Neptune have quite a few each, Pluto has one, and all the other planets in our solar system have none.
  4. May 25, 2005 #3

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This list contains every known moon except for Cassisi-discovered moons of Saturn.
  5. May 25, 2005 #4
    Could somebody tell me what the Cassisi-discovered moons of Saturn are?
    Why does that list not have them?

6. May 25, 2005 #5
    Here you go. They're probably not listed because they've just been discovered in the past year (past month in the case of the last one.)
  7. May 26, 2005 #6
    The new moons brings Saturn's tally to 46, second only to Jupiter's 63. Astronomers knew of 31 Saturnian moons before Cassini's arrival in July 2004. The NASA spacecraft has added 3 confirmed new moons, and several more candidates await confirmation.
  8. May 31, 2005 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?