List Your Phobias | Phobia List

• Thread starter theCandyman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    List
In summary: Irrational. :DIn summary, the conversation discusses various phobias and their names, including arachnophobia, acrophobia, and lygophobia. There is also mention of unique phobias such as gastropod mollusk phobia and fear of long words. Some individuals also share their own phobias, including fear of spiders and fear of being buried alive. The conversation touches on the irony of certain fears, such as a pilot with acrophobia and the fear of necroposting. Overall, the conversation highlights the diversity and uniqueness of human fears.
I suffer from anxiety/panic attacks every now and then, no phobias, well, I'm a little afraid of dying, but who isn't?

Physics news on Phys.org
phobaphobia. The fear of fear its self.

Some of my favorite phobias are:

- Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia, the fear of long words.
- Barophobia, the fear of gravity.
- Arachibutyrophobia, the fear of peanut butter sticking to the roof of one's mouth.

hypatia said:
phobaphobia. The fear of fear its self.

I have a fear of phobaphobia.

I have a fear of being in the nude and backing into a cold door knob.:rofl:

Johnny Carson circa 1980's. He had a name for it.??

Schrodinger's Dog said:
I had a pretty strong fear of heights(acrophobia) when I was young, but I got over that by forcing myself to climb trees etc. Now the only thing I fear is fear itself which I believe has a name, hmm where was that link again:wink:

Ah yes counterphobia: the fear of fearful situations.

Jelfish said:
Hmm somehow I don't think that is what FDR meant by his quote.

I am chronophobic.

Counterphovia is a preference for fearful situations; not a fear of fearful situations.

So, FDR definitely didn't mean counterpholia. Fear of fear would be phoropholia.

Personally, I suffer from apiphodia - at least that's the closest thing on the list to my fear. It's so severe that I often have to write my name ackwards.

Astronuc said:
If I had a fear, it would be outliving my children. Other than that, I have no fear.
I'm convinced that you suffer from xyrophobia.

I've always thought that I've had a slight case of altocelarophobia. When I was young and would go to the local opera house with my mother, something about the extremely high ceilings would make me uncomfortable. I remember thinking in my mind what it would be like to have to refinish or repaint the ceiling... wondering what it would be like to actually be up there looking down. I suppose it's a side fear that's associated with my slight fear of falling from an extreme height.

The strange thing is I have no problem when I'm up in a plane. It's only when there is a high risk of me plummeting to my death due to me being a klutz or loosing my grip on something.

Eremiphobia...basically

Aichmophobia- Needles. When I was 18 I had my labret pierced and it caused me to have a seizure.

Cotton wool, the vilest material ever invented, who ever did should be hung drawn and quartered.