List Your Phobias | Phobia List

• Thread starter theCandyman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    List
In summary: Irrational. :DIn summary, the conversation discusses various phobias and their names, including arachnophobia, acrophobia, and lygophobia. There is also mention of unique phobias such as gastropod mollusk phobia and fear of long words. Some individuals also share their own phobias, including fear of spiders and fear of being buried alive. The conversation touches on the irony of certain fears, such as a pilot with acrophobia and the fear of necroposting. Overall, the conversation highlights the diversity and uniqueness of human fears.
theCandyman
http://www.phobialist.com/#A

Hey everyone, look them up at the above link and list your phobia, unless you have glossophobia that is (not sure if that word really fits, it means fear of speaking or trying to speak in public).

Looks like I have Arachnephobia, Acrophobia (Altophobia and Hypsiphobia seem to mean the same), and Lygophobia. Strange, many of these seem to have two different words for the same fear.

Physics news on Phys.org
we had a list like this before once, but this one has more.

mine is Myrmecophobia!

If I had a fear, it would be outliving my children. Other than that, I have no fear.

I'm claustrophobic and slightly acrophobic.

I had a pretty strong fear of heights(acrophobia) when I was young, but I got over that by forcing myself to climb trees etc. Now the only thing I fear is fear itself which I believe has a name, hmm where was that link again:wink:

Ah yes counterphobia: the fear of fearful situations.

Mine is Atychiphobia (fear of failure),

Schrodinger's Dog said:
Ah yes counterphobia: the fear of fearful situations.

Hmm somehow I don't think that is what FDR meant by his quote.

I am chronophobic.

Ligophobia: the fear of discovering gravitational waves.

Jelfish said:
Hmm somehow I don't think that is what FDR meant by his quote.

I am chronophobic.

Everyone fears fearful situations to some extent or another unless your nuts or a danger freak: that's not what I was referring to.

the last girl i dated had a gastropod mollusk phobia.
she was paralized with fear when she saw a slug... i think this phobia is so weird they haven't got a name for it :tongue2: atleast they didnt write it on that list.

My favorite phobia (though said by some to be a made-up word) is aibohphobia- the fear of palindromes

matthyaouw said:
My favorite phobia (though said by some to be a made-up word) is aibohphobia- the fear of palindromes

:rofl:

aibohp
phobia

I'm annoyed with the letters "ph" occurring so often. I think we should adopt the Greek letter [tex]\phi[/tex] in its place.

[tex]\mbox{aibo}\phi\mbox{obia}[/tex]

Most of my phobias aren't on there...

I have a mild fear of spiders, deep water, and heights. Oh man... I do not like to look over the edge of big boats, especially not spider-infested ones !

Schrodinger's Dog said:
Everyone fears fearful situations to some extent or another unless your nuts or a danger freak: that's not what I was referring to.

Perhaps I misread your post. It seemed like you were equating counterphobia with the fear described in FDR's "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself" quote, which was what I was disagreeing on.

These are the only ones I have:
Alektorophobia- Fear of chickens.
Anuptaphobia- Fear of staying single.
Autodysomophobia- Fear of one that has a vile odor.
Bathophobia- Fear of depth.
Cathisophobia- Fear of sitting.
Coitophobia- Fear of coitus.
Coprastasophobia- Fear of constipation.
Defecaloesiophobia- Fear of painful bowels movements.(a warranted phobia)
Dutchphobia- Fear of the Dutch.
Erotophobia- Fear of sexual love or sexual questions.
Helminthophobia- Fear of being infested with worms.(I didn't have this phobia til I heard about it, but it's a good one to have)
Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia-AAIIEE! Fear of long words.(this one's really screwed up)
Lutraphobia- Fear of otters.(remember jug band christmas? shiver)
Medomalacuphobia- Fear of losing an erection.
Oneirogmophobia- Fear of wet dreams.
Phobophobia- Fear of phobias.
Porphyrophobia- Fear of the color purple.(I hated that book)
Walloonphobia- Fear of the Walloons.(I don't know what a walloon is and I don't want to)
Zemmiphobia- Fear of the great mole rat.

That's about it.

you fear being single? sexual love? wet dreams? losing an erection? you sure you're the same tribdog? that doesn't sound like you at all! hmmm... when you think about it, it seems like you can really lump that all together... fear of the inevitable. what's the word for that?

Gale said:
you fear being single? sexual love? wet dreams? losing an erection? you sure you're the same tribdog? that doesn't sound like you at all! hmmm... when you think about it, it seems like you can really lump that all together... fear of the inevitable. what's the word for that?
what did you expect after you called late at night to let me know how far away you are right before going to bed.

Last edited by a moderator:
tribdog said:
Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia-AAIIEE! Fear of long words.(this one's really screwed up)

Hahaha! Irony at its best!

Agateophobia- Fear of insanity. I don't need to worry about this, since I can't truly fear what I am.
I also fear really long, redunant lists, but suprisingly that phobia wasn't on there.

I Have mottephobia (fear of moths) I kid you not, i will run SCREAMING from moths. Kill Them, kill them all.

oBreeWan said:
I Have mottephobia (fear of moths) I kid you not, i will run SCREAMING from moths. Kill Them, kill them all.

Then http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjPHYpVzYZk" is for you.

(What do we call the fear of necroposting?)

Try to wrap your heads around this one... a pilot with severe acrophobia. Put me in an aeroplane, and I'll make that sucker dance, but I have trouble looking over the railing of my balcony which is 6 feet from the ground.
My other one is bugs. Any kind of bugs except flies, ladybugs, and honeybees. The more legs it has, the less I like it. That puts me in a bit of a quandry... I'm terrified of spiders, but as a descendant of Robert the Bruce I'm not allowed to harm one. Spiders are sacred to the Bruce clan, because one of them was Robert's inspiration to escape his prison cell.

My fear ...

not a very practical fear but here goes ...

Taphophobia- Fear of being buried alive or of cemeteries.

Being in the water near a very large ship. Like, close enough to the ship that I could touch it... :eek: ...gives me the creeps so bad, just thinking about it!

Funny thing about irrational fears. They're just so...irrational!

Chi Meson said:
Then http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjPHYpVzYZk" is for you.

(What do we call the fear of necroposting?)

- I refuse to watch that. i am terrified of them (gives me the shivers even talking about them)

Emetophobia- Fear of vomiting.

I am paranoid about the food I eat, just so I don't get food poisoning and when I get the stomach flu, everybody around me knows about it because I can't stop crying about it.

Agateophobia

What do you call the fear of great-white sharks that have teeth the size of railroad spikes?

Darwinaphobia?

I have a fear of heights, but I never let it bother me unless I fall.

Oh my goodness I have...=> Chilopodophobia (fear of centipedes..eeek!)

my fears are heights and spiders, although i recently have been doing some rock climbing. I enjoy it so why let fear get in the way?

BreeWan: you should see the moths we get around here (SE Aus) they can be around 20-30 cms wide. People used to catch them in high school lol.

||spoon|| said:
my fears are heights and spiders, although i recently have been doing some rock climbing. I enjoy it so why let fear get in the way?

BreeWan: you should see the moths we get around here (SE Aus) they can be around 20-30 cms wide. People used to catch them in high school lol.

HAHAHAHA...I live in QLD...but when i went to canberra for a camp years ago there was a moth plague, and i had to be sent home...see? How embarrasing!

Hobophobia- Fear of bums and beggars.

Seriously, screaming and hyperventalation
is involved with it! Absolutely pertrified of em.

Selachophobia- Fear of sharks.

This is pretty much sad in my case,
I live in Florida for pete sake!

I have ..

Agateophobia- Fear of insanity.
Agliophobia- Fear of pain.
Agoraphobia- Fear of open spaces or of being in crowded, public places like markets. Fear of leaving a safe place.
Agrizoophobia- Fear of wild animals.
Aichmophobia- Fear of needles or pointed objects.
Algophobia- Fear of pain.
Allodoxaphobia- Fear of opinions.
Altophobia- Fear of heights.
Anthropophobia- Fear of people or society.
Arachnephobia or Arachnophobia- Fear of spiders.
Atelophobia- Fear of imperfection. -- biggest one
Atychiphobia- Fear of failure.
Catagelophobia- Fear of being ridiculed.
Chorophobia- Fear of dancing.
Chronophobia- Fear of time.
Deipnophobia- Fear of dining or dinner conversations.
Dementophobia- Fear of insanity.
Demophobia- Fear of crowds. (Agoraphobia)
:frown:
.. stopping here

Ergophobia - Fear of work :rofl: