1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lithium scattering on iron plate

1. May 31, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Every second ##N_{Li}=2\cdot 10^8## atoms of ##_3^7Li## with kinetic energy ##30 MeV## is Coulomb scattering on ##_{26}^{56}Fe## plate ##d_{Fe}=0.3mm## thick with density ##\rho =7800kg/m^3##. Under angle of ##30^°## and ##r=0.2m## away from the plate we have a target with surface ##S_n=1cm^2## that contains ##N_n=6\cdot 10^{22}## neutrons.

a) How many Lithium (N) falls on the neutron plate each second?
    b) How many Lithium (N') per second deviate due to the scattering on neutron plate? You can say that ##\sigma _n=0.2\cdot 10^{-28} m^2## for one of the Li.

fgfg.JPG

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Can I ask before I show my work? :))

Is it ok if I calculate how much of the original Lithium flux overcomes the Fe plate, where it Coulomb scatters? This should than be the answer to part a) or is it not?

All I am trying to say is that I don't get it why the angle of neutron plate and the distance is important? (not even for part b))

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2014 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Would that be in the forward direction ? None of those reach te neutron plate ! What relevant equations do you have available to tackle this problem ?

4. Jun 2, 2014 #3
    Well I somehow have to find out how many are scattered in ##d\omega =\frac{dS}{r^2}## I just don't know how.

Equations:

Coulomb

##\frac{\mathrm{d} \sigma }{\mathrm{d} \Omega }=(\frac{e_1e_2}{16\pi \epsilon _0T})^2\frac{1}{sin^4(\theta /2)}##

For scattering on one particle: ##d \Omega (\frac{\mathrm{d} \sigma }{\mathrm{d} \Omega })=\frac{N}{jdt}## where N is number of particles scattered in ##d\theta ## and ##j## initial flux.

also

##N=\frac{N_pN_t\sigma}{S}## where N is number of reactions, ##N_p## number of projectiles and ##N_t## number of targets.

That's more or less all I have.

5. Jun 3, 2014 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Coulomb expression: Well, there is a theta in there ! So the angle is needed. Now about the distance. Where is that hiding ? Or is it absent ? Once that is answered, your conditions for showing your work are fulfilled!

6. Jun 3, 2014 #5
    ##d\Omega =\frac{dS}{r^2}##

BUT

##N_td\Omega (\frac{d\sigma }{d\Omega })=\frac{N_{on sensor}}{jdt}##

My question: How do I find out the number of Fe in a plate, ##N_t## ??? I know nothing about area size of flux.

7. Jun 4, 2014 #6

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What about looking around in the given data ? ##\rho## for example ? Area size of flux divides out (you may assume the beam is like a pencil ray). I don't see it in your worked out thingy anyway (?)

8. Jun 4, 2014 #7
    I haven't shown anything yet because I don't think that size of flux divides out.

Let's take a look:

Let me use notation ##N_x## instead of ##N_{on sensor}##.

##N_td\Omega (\frac{d\sigma }{d\Omega })=\frac{N_{x}}{jdt}##

##\frac{N_x}{dt}=N_tjd\Omega (\frac{d\sigma }{d\Omega })=N_tj\frac{dS}{r^2} (\frac{e_1e_2}{16\pi \epsilon _0T})^2\frac{1}{sin^4(\theta /2)}##

Now ##N_t=\frac{mN_a}{M}=\frac{\rho S d N_a}{M}##. Now here is where it all stops. What am I supposed to do with that S in the numerator?

9. Jun 4, 2014 #8
    Ahhh ok, I see it now. Why does this happen to me? o_O Why do i see it now and not days ago?

##j=N/tS##

So ##\frac{N_x}{dt}=N_tjd\Omega (\frac{d\sigma }{d\Omega })=(\frac{\rho S d N_a}{M})\frac{N_0}{tS}\frac{dS}{r^2} (\frac{e_1e_2}{16\pi \epsilon _0T})^2\frac{1}{sin^4(\theta /2)}##

So the answer should be:

##\frac{N_x}{dt}=\frac{\rho d N_a}{M} \frac{N_0}{t}\frac{dS}{r^2} (\frac{e_1e_2}{16\pi \epsilon _0T})^2\frac{1}{sin^4(\theta /2)}##

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted