Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Little Buddha

1. Sep 28, 2007 #1
    Hi All !!

here is a quote from the movie Little Buddha(http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107426/)

"Buddha could see beyond universe.Buddha has seen ultimate reality of all things."

Although the statement looks simple but it didnt make enough sense to me.It is also said that "we can see only what we know".I am not looking at the quote not exactly from spiritual frame but to me that statement makes Buddha sound the most successful scientist(?)

Please throw some light..
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2007 #2
  4. Sep 29, 2007 #3
    The statement most probably means that the Buddha had "seen" the true nature of all things. In Eastern philosophy it is the creative force (for lack of a better word and no it does not imply the existence of a creator) that is the essence of all things. This creative force pervades through all living and nonliving things and is said to be the "ultimate reality of all things".

The Buddha through meditation is said to have come in contact with this creative force and was thus able to known the mystery behind creation.
  5. Sep 29, 2007 #4
    Thanks for your response..
    you mean EVERY living and non living thing has this creative force as you call it...
    this contact thing still doesnt make enough sense to me..
    .As far as i have read his only objective was to find out a way to end suffering..But then on the day of enlightenment..he says that everything is connected..and somewhere i have read he says its not worth to enter into all these questions ..he stresses only on following his path with full devotion
  6. Sep 29, 2007 #5
    To begin with, the original texts were written in Sanskrit (if I remember correctly) and the translation to English and other languages may not be entirely accurate. For example the word "maya" has been translated as "illusion" which is not exactly correct.

I have not much knowledge on this topic, but yes the "creative force" is said to pervade all living and non-living matter. As you may notice evolution applies to all creation and it is thought that the "creative force" directs evolution.

Yes his objective was to end suffering and he did say that it is not worth entering into these questions of creation because it would distract one from the aim of "liberation from the self" as he put it.

I can only assume that he took his meditation to a deeper level after "liberation from the self" to come in contact with this "creative force".
  7. Sep 30, 2007 #6
    i agree with your point on language..Actually Original texts were written in Pali..i think situation would have been bit better if original texts were in sanskrit owing to the strength of sanskrit as a better and stronger language..and thus reduced syntactic disputations..But neverthless this language thing will always remain a problem i guess!

hmmm...taking meditation to deeper level after enlightenment...hmmm yeah...may be.....but yeah i have read somewhere that there are various stages of Samadhi(other term for Nirvana/Enlightenment) ..It is said that teacher of Swami Vivekananda ,,Ramakrishna has experienced the whole gamut of mystical relationships described in the Hindu scriptures..its said to them world appear like motion picture.!
  8. Sep 30, 2007 #7
    yes I wouldn't dispute that - sometimes I think it is better no to delve too deeply into the "true nature" of things, rather than live serenely in the illusion. The truth can make reality mundane.
  9. Oct 1, 2007 #8
    Trying googling "Jakob Boehme" and see what you come up with. Also some time ago I came across a poem called "The cornfield" which also had a similar theme, unfortunately I am unable to get that poem again or remember the name of the poet.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?