Little known math books (Binmore)

In summary, Ken Binmore has several helpful books in the field of mathematics, including Calculus, Mathematical Analysis, Logit, Sets and Numbers, and Topological Ideas. These books are often overlooked but recommended for those with a solid foundation in mathematics. Additionally, Shayle and Willet's Matrix Algebra for Applied Economics is a thorough book with a focus on applications in economics. However, for a more elementary introduction to the subject, Franz Hohn's Matrix Algebra book is highly recommended.
Pyrrhus
Homework Helper
I think some of the mathematics books economist students use tend to be largely unknown to other branches of science.

Ken Binmore Calculus
Ken Binmore Mathematical Analysis
Ken Binmore Logit, Sets and Numbers
Ken Binmore Topological ideas

I like Ken Binmore's books. They are VERY VERY helpful in figuring out what's going without jumping right into more advanced books like Rudin. I think most tend to ignore them. However, all these books for the most part require some mathematics maturity. I recommend going through them after taking the standard mathematics sequence for engineering or sciences (Calculus, and other) at the college-level.

Shayle and Willet Matrix Algebra for Applied Economics

It's also a very thorough book for matrix algebra. Although, it has some chapters that emphasize about applications to economics.

My favorite for Matrix Algebra is the book by Franz Hohn.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have a copy of Mathematical Analysis by Binmore (1st edition, so singe variable only) and agree that it is a very good book. It is an elementary introduction to the subject, and by design only uses intervals instead of more general sets. No uniform convergence or uniform continuity, although special properties of compact intervals are discussed which generlize to the more abstract case nicely. Most of the exercises are proofs, and complete solutions are included. So it is a great book to use to get a lot of practice doing proofs, although it does not have sections on "how to prove it", logic, etc.

1. What is the premise of Binmore's "Little known math books"?

The premise of Binmore's "Little known math books" is to introduce readers to lesser-known, but still influential, math books that have played a role in shaping modern mathematics.

2. Who is the author of "Little known math books"?

The author of "Little known math books" is mathematician and game theorist Ken Binmore.

3. What types of books are included in "Little known math books"?

Binmore's "Little known math books" includes a variety of books, ranging from ancient Chinese texts to modern works, covering topics such as geometry, algebra, and probability.

4. How does "Little known math books" differ from other math book recommendations?

Unlike many other math book recommendations, Binmore's "Little known math books" focuses on lesser-known books that have had a significant impact on the development of math, rather than popular or well-known titles.

5. Who would benefit from reading "Little known math books"?

Anyone with an interest in mathematics and its history would benefit from reading Binmore's "Little known math books." It would also be particularly useful for students or professionals in the field looking to expand their knowledge and explore lesser-known works.