Revolutionizing the Computer Mouse: A Scientist's Perspective

• Thread starter T.O.E Dream
  • Start date
In summary: Does the toothbrush need toothpaste, because if it does, it needs water to rinse it out.Nope, it's just toothpaste.
T.O.E Dream
What problems do you know of that need to be solved?

Nothing too big (e.g. global warming, war, poverty ect.)

Some examples might be vehicle safety, injuries, etc.

Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't vehicle safety a bigger problem than war? (Maybe someone less lazy can look this up.)

I did a slightly less lazier look and yah, looks like automobile deaths dwarf deaths due to war based on a lazy search and comparison.

One. The petri dish is getting a bit full. There doesn't exist as much neutrient in the continental interiors, so must of the pupulation is concentrated along the seaboards. Never the less, it's quite full.

Two. If I talked about it, you'd think I was cracked.

Okay I got one. A device that you stick in your mouth and brushes your teeth, applies toothpaste and rinses it. All in a push of a button. You can use while driving, getting dressed, playing video games, swearing at people, or anytime you have your hands busy and need to brush your teeth.

Who wouldn't love this idea?

T.O.E Dream said:
Okay I got one. A device that you stick in your mouth and brushes your teeth, applies toothpaste and rinses it. All in a push of a button. You can use while driving, getting dressed, playing video games, swearing at people, or anytime you have your hands busy and need to brush your teeth.

Who wouldn't love this idea?

Crest just came out with a tooth brush that doesn't need any water or something that you can just use anywhere. It's pretty cool... I think it would be extremely difficult to create a 'push button' tooth brush that does its own thing in your mouth. I don't think I'd trust it to be honest :P

Lately I've noticed avocados don't taste very avocadish. Of course everyone knows the pits are just too dang big, but we've all sort of adjusted to that little problem. But losing their flavor? That's a little problem that must be solved!

What about a printer built into a laptop. That would help alot.

T.O.E Dream said:

You really are ambitious to invent something huh? I like that :smile: :tongue:

A printer in a laptop... that would probably be difficult no doubt it'll be done sometime though and yes it would be quite helpful.

Sorry! said:
Crest just came out with a tooth brush that doesn't need any water or something that you can just use anywhere. It's pretty cool... I think it would be extremely difficult to create a 'push button' tooth brush that does its own thing in your mouth. I don't think I'd trust it to be honest :P

Does the toothbrush need toothpaste, because if it does, it needs water to rinse it out.

Crying babies ...

T.O.E Dream said:

Finding a person to carry your laptop around might be a new small problem ...

How about backpacks? Instead of applying pressure to your shoulders and back how about applying pressure equally through the whole upper body?

T.O.E Dream said:
How about backpacks? Instead of applying pressure to your shoulders and back how about applying pressure equally through the whole upper body?

Actually the best packs transfer most of the load to the hips.

I wish someone would invent a periscope for small cars so I can see over/around those honking huge pickup trucks, minivans and SUVs that always seem to be parked on both sides of me in a parking lot, preventing me from seeing oncoming cars and peds when I'm backing out of my parking space. :grumpy:

I have an itch on my knee... ah, taken care of. One small problem at a time yeah?

I heard that they're trying to make a windshield that vibrates or something which is suppose to get rid of wipers. I don't know how but still.

T.O.E Dream said:
Does the toothbrush need toothpaste, because if it does, it needs water to rinse it out.

I saw these in the store last week. There is a little capsule of toothpaste in the brush and it breaks up releasing the toothpase when you brush. When you're done you just throw out the brush. Very useful for a frequent traveler or if you are in a rush.

tmyer2107 said:
I saw these in the store last week. There is a little capsule of toothpaste in the brush and it breaks up releasing the toothpase when you brush. When you're done you just throw out the brush. Very useful for a frequent traveler or if you are in a rush.

That's one of the most wasteful ideas I've ever heard.

That's worse than throwing a disposable razor away after one use. You can get a good 5 shaves from one of those.

A shoe that can survive two years of constant use and still be comfortable and affordable.

leroyjenkens said:
That's one of the most wasteful ideas I've ever heard.

That's worse than throwing a disposable razor away after one use. You can get a good 5 shaves from one of those.

They aren't full size toothbrushes. They are about 4 inches long although that doesn't change the fact that it is a little wasteful. But I'd rather have one of those on hand and throw it away than not being able to brush my teeth at all.

tmyer2107 said:
They aren't full size toothbrushes. They are about 4 inches long although that doesn't change the fact that it is a little wasteful. But I'd rather have one of those on hand and throw it away than not being able to brush my teeth at all.

Maybe if they were made entirely of bio-degradable materials, Perhaps bamboo... That would be the perfect product. Until, of course, they discover it causes brain tumors and second hand discomfort.

What about air conditioning jacket.

T.O.E Dream said:
What about air conditioning jacket.

Why not just take the jacket off?

I think the thing I would appreciate the most today would be an automated car. I have to drive four hours this afternoon and would love nothing more than to sleep through it. Or at the least not have to dedicate my attention to one thing for that long. Thank God (or whatever deity or lack of one you attribute good things...human ingenuity?) for books on tape.

tmyer2107 said:
Why not just take the jacket off?

I mean something that you can put on and gives your personal air conditioning.

I personally think that the computer mouse needs to be reinvented. It's stayed practically the same ever since it was made.

T.O.E Dream said:
I personally think that the computer mouse needs to be reinvented. It's stayed practically the same ever since it was made.

http://www.wired.com/gadgets/miscellaneous/multimedia/2007/03/wiredphotos62

Not that I think it need sot be changed. What's missing?

Last edited by a moderator:
Flatulence. This is the one thing I can't stand at work especially, where I can't simply leave my station but instead have to smell someone's farts. It's worse in the restrooms. Put an end to that mess and you'd make a fortune!

Also, how about something that keeps snow and mud off my car?

And dishes and flatware that you don't have to wash.

Newai said:
Flatulence. This is the one thing I can't stand at work especially, where I can't simply leave my station but instead have to smell someone's farts. It's worse in the restrooms.

Put an end to that mess and you'd make a fortune!

Air freshener?

Pengwuino said:
http://www.wired.com/gadgets/miscellaneous/multimedia/2007/03/wiredphotos62

Not that I think it need sot be changed. What's missing?

I think that it should be more interactive. Maybe using your hand as a mouse.

Last edited by a moderator:
T.O.E Dream said:

Some of the original mice were really frustrating to use. A little rectangular box with a ball bearing sans the all-important coating of rubber. Inside were also 2 mechanical encoders wheels with little spring steel wires riding on drums with encoding-contacts.

The preferred method to fix the commonly errant mouse was to throw it vigerously against the nearest wall.

1. How can the computer mouse be improved for better usability?

As a scientist, I believe the key to revolutionizing the computer mouse lies in its design. By incorporating ergonomic principles and studying user behavior, we can create a mouse that is more comfortable and intuitive to use. Additionally, implementing touch-sensitive technology and customizable buttons can greatly enhance the user experience.

2. Will the new computer mouse be compatible with all computer systems?

Compatibility is a crucial aspect to consider when revolutionizing the computer mouse. As a scientist, I would ensure that the new mouse is compatible with various operating systems and devices to make it accessible to a wider range of users. This can be achieved through thorough testing and collaboration with software engineers.

3. How will the new computer mouse impact productivity and efficiency?

The new and improved computer mouse can greatly enhance productivity and efficiency. By incorporating features such as gesture recognition and advanced scrolling options, tasks can be completed more quickly and accurately. Additionally, a more comfortable and ergonomic design can reduce strain and fatigue, allowing for longer periods of use without discomfort.

4. What advancements in technology will be utilized in the new computer mouse?

There are many exciting technologies that can be incorporated into the new computer mouse. As a scientist, I would explore options such as haptic feedback, voice control, and even brain-computer interface to create a truly revolutionary device. However, it is important to balance these advancements with practicality and user-friendliness.

5. How long will it take for the new computer mouse to be available to the public?

The timeline for the availability of the new computer mouse will depend on various factors such as research and development, testing, and production. As a scientist, I would prioritize thorough testing and user feedback to ensure a high-quality and functional product. This may take some time, but the end result will be worth the wait.