Does a Spin (1/2) Particle's Hamiltonian State Imply Its Spin Orientation?

• Thread starter Void123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confusion
In summary, the question is asking about the probability of a spin (1/2) particle changing its spin when it is initially in a state described by a Hamiltonian proportional to S(z). The post also mentions a possible solution involving an energy transition value of h-bar and the change in eigenvalues of angular momentum.
Void123

Homework Statement

If I am told a spin (1/2) particle is originally in the state of a particular Hamiltonian (proportional to S(z)), does that imply the general state or spin-up? Because I am asked to find the probability that it will change its spin, which I can only make sense of assuming its talking about a specific spinor (in this case up).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I received an email saying someone replied to this thread. Was the post deleted?

Void123 said:
I received an email saying someone replied to this thread. Was the post deleted?

Yes, the poster deleted his own post. Possibly because he realized that he did too much work on solving this schoolwork question. Perhaps he will come back and post more of a hint or a leading question...

Straightened it out. Am I supposed to get an energy transition value of h-bar, from spin-up to spin-down state? I imagine so since the eigenvalue of angular momentum is increased/decreased by h-bar. Right?

It seems that there may be some confusion about the terminology being used. When we say a spin (1/2) particle is in a particular Hamiltonian, we are referring to the system's energy and how it changes over time. This does not necessarily imply a specific spin state, such as spin-up. To find the probability of a spin change, we would need to know the initial spin state and the specific Hamiltonian being used. It is possible that the problem is asking for the probability of a spin change in a general state, rather than a specific spin state. It would be helpful to clarify the wording of the problem to ensure a correct solution.

What is "little wording confusion"?

"Little wording confusion" refers to the confusion or misunderstanding that can arise from using similar words or phrases in a sentence or statement.

Why is "little wording confusion" important in scientific research?

In scientific research, precise and accurate communication is crucial. "Little wording confusion" can lead to misinterpretation of results or incorrect conclusions, which can have significant consequences.

What are some examples of "little wording confusion" in scientific literature?

One example is the use of the terms "accuracy" and "precision" interchangeably, when in fact they have different meanings in statistics. Another example is the use of "significance" in place of "importance" in research findings, which can change the interpretation of the results.

How can scientists prevent or minimize "little wording confusion"?

Scientists can prevent "little wording confusion" by carefully selecting and defining their terminology, proofreading their work for any inconsistencies, and using precise language in their communication with peers and the public.

What are the potential consequences of "little wording confusion" in scientific communication?

The consequences of "little wording confusion" in scientific communication can range from minor misunderstandings to major errors that can impact the validity and credibility of research findings. It can also lead to confusion and mistrust among the public when scientific information is not communicated clearly and accurately.