1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Little wording confusion

1. Sep 12, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If I am told a spin (1/2) particle is originally in the state of a particular Hamiltonian (proportional to S(z)), does that imply the general state or spin-up? Because I am asked to find the probability that it will change its spin, which I can only make sense of assuming its talking about a specific spinor (in this case up).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2010 #2
    I received an email saying someone replied to this thread. Was the post deleted?

4. Sep 13, 2010 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Yes, the poster deleted his own post. Possibly because he realized that he did too much work on solving this schoolwork question. Perhaps he will come back and post more of a hint or a leading question...

5. Sep 14, 2010 #4
    Straightened it out. Am I supposed to get an energy transition value of h-bar, from spin-up to spin-down state? I imagine so since the eigenvalue of angular momentum is increased/decreased by h-bar. Right?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook