Little Xmas Project: Wiring LED Lights to a Vehicle Headlight

• Thread starter mackconsult
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Project
In summary, the individual is attempting to add LED lights to their vehicle by wiring them into the headlights. They have tried using resistors in series to lower the voltage, but have encountered issues with smoke coming from the resistor. They are considering using 75 ohm resistors and are unsure if they need to add another resistor in parallel with the one in the battery box. They are advised to measure the current and use Ohm's Law to determine the appropriate resistor size. They are also suggested to use a step-down voltage adaptor from Radio Shack for a safer option.
mackconsult
I have a little project that I am working on. Would like to put some LED lights on a wreath on the front of my vehicle. Planning on wiring it into the head lights so when the 12 volt head lights are turned on the wreath will light up on the front of the vehicle.

I bought a cheap string of 20 white led lights that run normally on 3 AA batteries. Opened up the battery case and noticed a resistor inside the case, but did not take note of it.

Figured I could wire up some resistors in series to drop the voltage down from 12 volts to 4 volts and get away with it. I had a power supply hooked up to this circuit and am able to slowly raise the voltage from 0 to 4 to 12 volts.

On my first try I used three 25 ohm resistors wired in parallel, which are then in series with the connections in the battery box going to the LED light string.

On my second try I used five 50 ohm resistors wired in parallel, which are then in series with the connections in the battery box going to the LED light string.

On my third try I used five 75 ohm resistors wired in parallel, which are then in series with the connections in the battery box going to the LED light string.

In each of the mentioned cases above smoke is coming from the resistor in the battery box. In the 75 ohm test above I was able to keep my finger on the 75 ohm resistors, so I think I am going with those for drop down. Do I need to put another resistor in parallel with the resistor that is in the battery box to distribute current across the resistors? Do they need to be of equivalent resistance?

More information: When I measured the resistance at the battery box connections it came out to be 14 ohms. Not sure where to go from here to make this work, any help appreciated ...

Engineering news on Phys.org
Go to Radio Shack and get a step-down voltage adaptor that plugs into the cigarette lighter and outputs 4-1/2V. Just shove it into the lighter-jack when you want the lights on.

When you parallel two 50 Ω resistors, the equivalent resistance will be 25 Ω. When you series two 50 Ω resistors, the equivalent resistance will be 100 Ω. So the more resistors you parallel, the more current will flow; hence why the smoke.

See the difference in the sourced current in these two examples:

vollawa.gif

You need to measure the current this device takes at 4.5 volts. Set your power supply to 4.5 volts.

Then put a current meter (ammeter) in series with the supply.

Once you know this, you can calculate the size of resistor you should place in series with the lights to run them off 12 volts. Actually, assume the car battery voltage is 14 volts.

The resistor will have (14 - 4.5) volts across it (or 9.5) and (the current you measured), passing through it.

So, suppose you measured 400 mA current. This is 0.4 amps.
The resistor size (using Ohm's Law) would be R = (9.5 volts divided by 0.4 amps), or 23.75 ohms.

Then you need to work out how much power it is going to dissipate.
Power = Voltage times current
Power = 9.5 volts times 0.4 amps, or 3.8 watts. So, you could buy an 27 ohm, 5 watt resistor.

Notice that this depends on your current measurement, so you need to substitute your figure for the 0.4 amp figure I guessed above.

1. How do I wire LED lights to my vehicle's headlights?

To wire LED lights to your vehicle's headlights, you will need to first determine the type of LED lights you have and the type of vehicle you have. Then, you will need to locate the headlight wiring harness and splice the LED lights into the harness using wire connectors. It is important to follow the specific wiring instructions for your LED lights and vehicle to ensure proper installation and functionality.

2. What tools and equipment do I need for this project?

The tools and equipment you will need for wiring LED lights to your vehicle's headlights may include wire connectors, wire strippers, electrical tape, a soldering iron, and a voltage tester. You may also need a wiring diagram for your specific LED lights and vehicle model. It is important to have the necessary tools and equipment before beginning this project.

3. Is it legal to have LED lights wired to my vehicle's headlights?

The legality of wiring LED lights to your vehicle's headlights may vary depending on your location. It is important to check your state or country's laws and regulations regarding vehicle lighting before proceeding with this project. In some places, certain colors and placements of LED lights may not be allowed.

4. Will wiring LED lights to my vehicle's headlights affect the warranty?

This may vary depending on the manufacturer and dealership. It is best to check with your vehicle's manufacturer or dealership before proceeding with this project to ensure it will not void your warranty. You may also want to consider professional installation to avoid any potential warranty issues.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when wiring LED lights to my vehicle's headlights?

Yes, it is important to take safety precautions when working with electricity. Make sure to disconnect the vehicle's battery before beginning the project and wear protective gear such as gloves and safety glasses. It is also important to follow the specific wiring instructions for your LED lights and vehicle to avoid any potential electrical hazards.