LittleBits - magnetic circuit board

In summary, the conversation discusses different electronic kits and components for DIY enthusiasts. These include the LittleBits magnetic circuit board, the Modrobotics robotic cubes kit, and the Adafruit IOIO card for controlling external electronics through an Android device. The conversation also mentions the Korg synth kit and other electronic components available on Adafruit.com.
MarneMath
Education Advisor
I was doing some online early-ish Christmas shopping for the kiddo and wife-o. I randomly came across this:

http://littlebits.cc/

I thought it was pretty cool, and I figured some people here would appreciate it too :).

(For those who don't wish to click on the link, it's basically magnetic circuit board that has various modules.)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes, I saw this some time ago. They also have a Korg synth kit, a kit for internet control of devices and one for Arduino and they all work interchangably

ala LEGO electronics.

On a related note, there's a robotic cubes kit by another company that is also very cool:

http://www.modrobotics.com/

and lastly, there's the IOIO card that can connect to your Android device and allow you to control external electronics.

http://www.adafruit.com/product/885

In addition the Adafruit.com site has a lot of other cool electronic stuff too for DIY folks.

Time to go build a TARS...

Likes dlgoff

1. What is LittleBits and how does it work?

LittleBits is a magnetic circuit board system that allows users to easily create and prototype electronic circuits without any soldering or wiring. Each LittleBit module has a specific function, such as a power source, sensor, or output, and they can be easily connected together using magnets.

2. What skills are required to use LittleBits?

No prior knowledge or skills in electronics are required to use LittleBits. The system is designed for all ages and levels of expertise, making it accessible for anyone to learn and create with.

3. Can LittleBits be used for more complex projects?

Yes, LittleBits can be used for both simple and complex projects. The system is designed to be expandable, allowing users to add more modules and create more complex circuits and projects. It is also compatible with other electronic platforms, such as Arduino, for more advanced projects.

4. Are there any safety concerns when using LittleBits?

LittleBits are designed to be safe and easy to use, making them suitable for all ages. The modules are low voltage and do not pose any risk of electric shock. However, it is always recommended to use caution and follow all safety instructions when working with electronic components.

5. Can LittleBits be used in an educational setting?

Yes, LittleBits are a popular tool for teaching electronics, coding, and STEM concepts in educational settings. The system is designed to be user-friendly and engaging, making it a great tool for hands-on learning in schools, workshops, and maker spaces. There are also educational resources and lesson plans available for teachers to use with LittleBits.