Why Isn't the West Coast Getting Live Olympic Coverage?

• Thread starter Janus
  • Start date
In summary, the Chinese are invading Oregon, and we East Coasters are not getting live coverage of the Olympics.
Janus
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I was sitting here with the Olympics playing in the background and thinking that how in four years, when they are held in Vancouver BC, we won't have to worry about hearing the results before the events are televised, as we will get them "live".

And then I realized that, even then, those of us on the West coast still won't get live coverage. It doesn't matter that the Olympics will take place in the same time zone as we are in, we will get it "tape-delayed".

In fact, just about anytime you see "LIVE", in the corner of the screen, it isn't "LIVE" for the West Coast.

Sometimes I think that the Chinese could be landing on the beaches of Oregon and we would hear about it on three hour tape delay.

Physics news on Phys.org
Its not live for us either. We get actually get the same live though for california.

Well according Einstien it isn't live anywhere theortically It still takes time for those Images to get up to your televison.:biggrin:

Janus said:
Sometimes I think that the Chinese could be landing on the beaches of Oregon and we would hear about it on three hour tape delay.

So you haven't heard...comrade?

Ivan Seeking said:
Janus said:
So you haven't heard...comrade?
We need to sperd the word...http://www.google.com/search?hl=zh-...vasion+of+oregon,united+states+of+america&lr=
Lets see here does anyone elese no where to find a advance-particle beam acteltor atomic ion beam cannon gravity lancher

Janus said:
I was sitting here with the Olympics playing in the background and thinking that how in four years, when they are held in Vancouver BC, we won't have to worry about hearing the results before the events are televised, as we will get them "live".

And then I realized that, even then, those of us on the West coast still won't get live coverage. It doesn't matter that the Olympics will take place in the same time zone as we are in, we will get it "tape-delayed".

In fact, just about anytime you see "LIVE", in the corner of the screen, it isn't "LIVE" for the West Coast.

Well, if you'd all just wake up 3 hours earlier, you could be in synch with us East Coasters. :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
Well, if you'd all just wake up 3 hours earlier, you could be in synch with us East Coasters. :biggrin:

Well, considering the time I usually get up in the morning, I'm probably awake before many East-Coasters as it is.
But then, since the networks seem to assume that everyone works "Banker's hours", and schedule their Olympic Broadcast to last until Midnight, and save all the major competition results until towards the end of the Broadcast, I'd have to operate on about 4 hrs of sleep a night. :zzz:

Besides, If we were going to make everyone in the US adapt to one time-zone, wouldn't it make sense to split the difference and choose Central?

Oops, Gotta go. There's some oriental guy in a uniform at the door asking for my "papers".

Personally, I'd prefer if everyone operated on Pacific time. I could handle sleeping 3 hours later every day (oh, who am I kidding, I live on Pacific time anyway; I could never survive the corporate world where they expect everyone to start and end the day at the same time).

这是一美好的天在俄勒冈

:bugeye: I think you just insulted all of our Chinese members. :smile: (I'm kidding...but do you even know what you posted?)

Of course: "This is one happy day in Oregon" :biggrin:

you are lying

No I'm not. Why do you say that?

because I was trying to look like I knew chinese

How does one look when they know Chinese?

on average, a little bit shorter than me and with squintier eyes and dark hair.

You have beady eyes?

Ivan Seeking said:
这是一美好的天在俄勒冈
天汉语/漢語客家!:devil:

许多这里是芬兰人

那是最佳我能做

我不了解

毛澤台北東
这两个字是什么意!:smile:

So you are saying that we have Chinese-Italian Hakkas running a wool business in Oregon. :biggrin:

If I wanted everyone knew that, I could simply say that in English!

我是狗 :cry: :cry: :cry:

You have to :cry: more when you receive warning for hijacking 1 of the mentor's thread! :biggrin:

Related to Why Isn't the West Coast Getting Live Olympic Coverage?

1. What is the definition of "live"?

Live refers to an event or performance that is happening in real time and is being broadcasted or streamed to viewers. It is not pre-recorded or edited.

2. Why is live content preferred over pre-recorded content?

Live content allows for an immediate and authentic connection with the audience. It also allows for spontaneous reactions and interactions, making it more engaging and exciting.

3. How does the time difference affect live broadcasts?

The time difference can affect live broadcasts, especially for international events, as it may not be convenient for viewers in different time zones. This is why live content is often streamed or made available for on-demand viewing.

4. How is live content produced and broadcasted?

Live content can be produced and broadcasted using various methods, such as cameras, microphones, and streaming software. It requires technical expertise and equipment to ensure a high-quality broadcast.

5. Is live content only limited to events and performances?

No, live content can also include live discussions, interviews, and presentations. It can also be used for educational purposes, such as live lectures or demonstrations.