Is Living with the Machigenga a Must-Watch Travel Show?

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary: I'm looking forward to learning more about the culture and the people.I get it. They are the Bobby Flay of anthropology and you think they are hot enough to watch even if their "studies" are designed to sell broadcast time. I hope they are REALLY cute, because even Rachael Raye with all her fawning and flirting cannot make me take any of her cooking "talent" seriously. I think I could turn her into a cook, but it would take at least a year or two, and she would have to learn how to stop listening with her mouth.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Mark and Olly "Living with the Machigenga" starts Feb 8th on the Travel Channel. If this is anything like their previous shows, it is well worth watching.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Any chance of cannibalism?

Math Is Hard said:
Any chance of cannibalism?
Or hoop-dancing (with minimal clothing?)

Maybe a fire-eating shaman? ooh.

Math Is Hard said:
Maybe a fire-eating shaman? ooh.
Or a fire-eating shaman with a glow-in-the dark hula-hoop?

turbo-1 said:
Or a fire-eating shaman with a glow-in-the dark hula-hoop?

hmmm..right before the sacrifice? OK, I'm in.

OK, we're good to go. I'll need schedules, but I can get the film crews there.

So much to look forward to!

Bumping this up, because it starts on Sunday.

I've poked around a bit, and found that these people are hunter-gatherers with low resistance to diseases from the outside world. I hope that Mark and Olly and their crew were all suitably quarantined for the sake of the Machigenga. I'm guilty of having watched "Medicine Man" too many times, perhaps, but South America's indigenous people probably have a wealth of knowledge about the plants and animals in their environment - and we might be better off to find really low-impact ways of gathering that knowledge without sending in film-crews.

Two scantily clad, hot, sweaty, good looking guys. Hubba Hubba

Of course I only watch it for the social, historical and scientific information. :blushing:

Evo said:
Two scantily clad, hot, sweaty, good looking guys. Hubba Hubba

Of course I only watch it for the social, historical and scientific information. :blushing:
You mean these guys don't study indigenous tribes in the arctic? Are they the exo-cultural equivalent of Baywatch?

turbo-1 said:
You mean these guys don't study indigenous tribes in the arctic? Are they the exo-cultural equivalent of Baywatch?
Aside from the <cough> beefcake, the two of them are really good. Olly is attempting to chronicle these tribes before they disappear. Mark es mas macho.

Evo said:
Aside from the <cough> beefcake, the two of them are really good. Olly is attempting to chronicle these tribes before they disappear. Mark es mas macho.
I get it. They are the Bobby Flay of anthropology and you think they are hot enough to watch even if their "studies" are designed to sell broadcast time. I hope they are REALLY cute, because even Rachael Raye with all her fawning and flirting cannot make me take any of her cooking "talent" seriously. I think I could turn her into a cook, but it would take at least a year or two, and she would have to learn how to stop listening with her mouth.

The show is great so far.

What is the Machigenga tribe?

The Machigenga tribe is an indigenous group of people living in the Peruvian Amazon, primarily in the Madre de Dios region. They are a semi-nomadic tribe known for their traditional way of life and deep connection to the rainforest.

What is it like to live with the Machigenga tribe?

Living with the Machigenga tribe is a unique and immersive experience. It involves adapting to their way of life, which includes hunting, fishing, and gathering food from the rainforest, as well as participating in their cultural traditions and rituals.

What are some challenges of living with the Machigenga tribe?

Some challenges of living with the Machigenga tribe include adapting to their lifestyle and customs, which may be vastly different from modern society. Additionally, communication and language barriers may also present challenges.

What can be learned from living with the Machigenga tribe?

Living with the Machigenga tribe can provide a valuable opportunity to learn about their culture, traditions, and way of life. It can also offer insights into sustainability and the importance of preserving the rainforest, as the Machigenga have a deep understanding and respect for their environment.

How can one live with the Machigenga tribe?

There are various organizations and programs that offer opportunities to live with the Machigenga tribe, typically through organized tours or volunteer programs. It is important to research and choose a reputable organization that prioritizes ethical and respectful interactions with the tribe.