Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Ln vs. log in Short Calculus book by Serge Lang

1. Apr 12, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I've been going through a book called "Short Calculus: The Original Edition of A First Course in Calculus," by Serge Lang. It says, " The derivative of a^x is a^x (log a)." But everything else I look at says the derivative of a^x is a^x (ln a). Since ln a and log a are different numbers, I don't see how both equations could be true. And, in fact, the Lang book never mentions ln at all!

The Lang book was 1st published in 1964 (although this is a 2002 printing). Could that be the explanation?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2010 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you write log_b(a) you mean log to the base b of a. If you just write log(a) that generally means log_e(a) which is the same as ln(a) as far as I know. What do you think log(a) means? I don't think Lang means log_10(a).

4. Apr 12, 2010 #3
    OK, I found it it, you're right. He just briefly mentions it at the end of the section. Confusing if you're new to it. Thanks.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook