Exact Solution for ln(x-2) = -2+ln(x) - Graphing Method

• Thread starter kdpointer
  • Start date
In summary, the person is trying to solve for x and is having trouble. They were given a hint and were able to solve it after a little help.
kdpointer
I have no idea where to start. I need to know how solve this.

I graphed both of the equations and then found the intersection, but it is a non repeating decimal and my answer has to be exact. I don't know how else to do it.

Please HELP!

Physics news on Phys.org
any work? got to show some b4 we can help.

and exactly what are you solving for?

Hm..without giving you the answer.

Try to get rid of those logs, what can you do to get rid of the logs?

If that doesn't work try combining the logs to get 1 single log and see if that gives you the answer.

Take e to the power of both sides.

you can raise e to both sides?

then is it simply just solving for x?

i know that e^(ln(x-2)) is x-2 but i don't know what happens to the other side

I thought you knew you were solving for x. What else is there to solve for? And sure you can raise e to both sides. If a=b, then e^a=e^b.

What's e^(a+b). And how are your replies showing up so fast?

Dick said:
What's e^(a+b). And how are your replies showing up so fast?
when you need help = constantly refreshing ;) and through e-mail notifications

e^a * e^b ?

My email notifications show up in a slug-like fashion. Like at least a minute or two between. I thought the forum was delaying for last minute edits. Guess I'm wrong, or the OP is anticipating the reply.

kdpointer said:
e^a * e^b ?

You did it again. YES!

oh dang.. i got it i think. -2/(e^(-2)-1) maybe?

Yes! I know I've got to get this in quick.

sweet.. thanks a lot! all i needed was a little push in the right direction haha

1. What is the graphing method for solving ln(x-2) = -2+ln(x)?

The graphing method for solving ln(x-2) = -2+ln(x) involves graphing both sides of the equation on a coordinate plane and finding the point of intersection, which represents the solution.

2. Why is the graphing method used to solve ln(x-2) = -2+ln(x)?

The graphing method is used to solve ln(x-2) = -2+ln(x) because it provides a visual representation of the solution and allows for a more intuitive understanding of the problem.

3. Can the graphing method be used for any logarithmic equation?

Yes, the graphing method can be used for any logarithmic equation, as long as both sides of the equation can be graphed on a coordinate plane.

4. Are there any limitations to using the graphing method for solving ln(x-2) = -2+ln(x)?

One limitation of using the graphing method for solving ln(x-2) = -2+ln(x) is that it may not provide an exact solution, but rather an approximation. Additionally, it may be time-consuming and may not be practical for more complex equations.

5. Can the graphing method be used to check the solution for ln(x-2) = -2+ln(x)?

Yes, the graphing method can be used to check the solution for ln(x-2) = -2+ln(x) by plugging in the solution into the original equation and checking if both sides are equal.