Local Group Center: Direction of Center

In summary, the center of the local group can be found between the Andromeda and Milky Way galaxies, with the Andromeda galaxy being directly in line with the center as seen from Earth. It is located on the neck of the constellation Pegasus, towards Cassiopeia.
Pjpic
In which direction lies the center of the local group?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I'd imagine it would be roughly in between Andromeda and the Milky Way, since I believe those two galaxies hold the vast majority of mass in the local group.

Jack21222 said:
I'd imagine it would be roughly in between Andromeda and the Milky Way,

Where'd that be (in the sky)?

Pjpic said:
Jack21222 said:
I'd imagine it would be roughly in between Andromeda and the Milky Way,

Where'd that be (in the sky)?

The centre would be directly in line with the Andromeda galaxy as seen from here in the Milky Way.

Andromeda is on the neck of the constellation Pegasus, towards Cassiopeia.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/59/Andromeda_constellation_map.png

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the Local Group Center?

The Local Group Center refers to the center of the Local Group, which is a small cluster of galaxies that includes the Milky Way and Andromeda galaxies. It is located approximately 10 million light years from Earth.

2. How is the direction of the Local Group Center determined?

The direction of the Local Group Center is determined by measuring the velocities and positions of galaxies within the Local Group. By analyzing the gravitational interactions between these galaxies, scientists can determine the center of mass and thus the direction of the center.

3. Why is the direction of the Local Group Center important?

The direction of the Local Group Center is important because it gives us a better understanding of the overall structure and movement of the Local Group. It also helps us determine our position within the group and our relationship with other galaxies.

4. Is the Local Group Center stationary?

No, the Local Group Center is not stationary. It is constantly moving due to the gravitational interactions between the galaxies within the group. This movement can also be influenced by the gravitational pull of nearby galaxy clusters.

5. How does the direction of the Local Group Center affect the motion of galaxies within the group?

The direction of the Local Group Center plays a significant role in the motion of galaxies within the group. Galaxies closer to the center tend to have higher velocities, while those farther away may have lower velocities. This is due to the gravitational pull of the center and the overall structure of the group.